Tedesco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
whitehorse777

Tedesco

Post by whitehorse777 »

Where can one access Sicilian birth records from 1850-1900, and where can one access Italian immigration records prior to that time?
Thank you, in advance,
Respectfully,
Charles
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Tedesco

Post by VaDeb »

Sicilan birth records from this time period can be found in the town that the event occured in. Records before 1865 may be in the provical archive. There is no regional or national birth index. They are all by comune.

What do you mean by Italian immigration records? Ellis Island can be searched for Italian's that came to America. Is this what you are looking for.
whitehorse777

Post by whitehorse777 »

My ancestors came from Palermo, so how would one access the records from that period? Are they accessible on line?
I am trying to trace my ancestors arrival in Italy, not the United States, so I assume I am looking for Italy's equivalent of an Ellis Island.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Respectfully,
Charles
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

If they are from the town of Palermo (verses a town in the province of Palermo) you write to the town for records. There are generally no online records. Sometimes you will find something for a town. Ancestry.com has some records for Palermo, but last time I looked it was only A and B surnames of certain years.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/082/index.html

Or do your own research using microfilm records of Palermo (1820-1908) using records from LDS.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

There is no Italian equivalent of Ellis Island. There is no passenger manifest lists for passengers arriving in Italy.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

whitehorse777 wrote:My ancestors came from Palermo, so how would one access the records from that period? Are they accessible on line?
I am trying to trace my ancestors arrival in Italy, not the United States, so I assume I am looking for Italy's equivalent of an Ellis Island.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Respectfully,
Charles

To get birth, marriage and death record of town of Palermo contact:

Ufficio di Stato civile
Piazza Giulio Cesare 52
90127 Palermo - Italy

there is nothing on line,
bye ricbru :lol:
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by john_dominic »

Doesn't Tedesco mean "German" in Italian?? :?
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

yes it does.
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by john_dominic »

bbango wrote:yes it does.
I knew that - I was implying that it's a damn odd surname for an Italian to have...
whitehorse777

Post by whitehorse777 »

It is an odd surname for an Italian to have. Generally, this name is found among Ashkezani Jews who emigrated to Italy from Germany.

Charles
mastio

Post by mastio »

There happens to be a very large population of Tedesco's in New Orleans coming from Palermo.
Cynthi

Post by Cynthi »

My grandmother lived in argentina but her father came from Italy. His real surname was tedeschi but here it was changed to tedesco. I don´t know if this could help you...
kisses
whitehorse777

Post by whitehorse777 »

Cynthi,
I appreciate the help!! Your response was much appreciated. Deb, I am sorry I have not repsonded sooner, but your help was much appreciated as well. I am waiting for word from Palermo as I write this note.
Best wishes to everyone.
Charles
larie26

Post by larie26 »

Hello,

I am a Tedesco from New Orleans. My grandfather's family was from Termini Imerese which is in the province of Palermo. So far from my research in New Orleans I have found about 4 families in the early 1900's which I have been trying to connect. Two are from Termini, one is from Palermo by their obituaries and one family from Trapani (I believe). The family that is from Palermo I have heard many times we are cousins to them...they may be from Termini also. I find many obituaries say the persons are from Palermo and they are really from a town in Palermo or the person left on the ship from Palermo.
There is a wonderful website online for Termini Imerese where many of the members are transcribing the certificates for that area. I go back to about 1730 on one line and on the Tedesco's I go back to about 1750 which is about as far as I can go. This website is not complete yet but I am now finding where our family and connected families married before they left Termini and I am finding them in New Orleans.
My Italian lines Tedesco (Termini Imerese) & Cristina (Ustica)
Does anyone have connections to New Orleans or to the Tedesco's. Also, many of our family moved to the Gulfport & Biloxi, Mississippi area.

Thanks,
Larie

Termini Imerese
Tedesco, Papania, Corso, Calcagno, Seminara, Formusa, Culotta, Mascari and many others

Ustica
Cristina, Gumina, Fallo, Gallo, Palmisano and many others

Also Unknown
Runfalo