Battista, Montesano, Ricciarde, Olivette, Cerbone, Colletti, Di Carlo, Allegretti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
khoney
Elite
Elite

Battista, Montesano, Ricciarde, Olivette, Cerbone, Colletti, Di Carlo, Allegretti

Post by khoney »

I am researching the Vincenzo Battista family and would very much appreciate knowing if anyone has any information that may help. I am pretty new at this and so far have not used any of the subscription web sites.

Vincenzo was born in Italy about 1856 and died a resident of Bronx, New York on 21 Feb 1940. According to the Family Search index he was married to Caterina Montesano on 15 Jun1893 in Manhattan, New York. His father is shown as Pasquale and his mother is Bolisare Ricciarde. Caterina (Kate, Katherine) was born in Italy about 1869, the daughter of Maurizio Montesano and Manuela Olivette. Vincenzo is shown as a widow at the time, Catrina as single. Caterina died on 16 May 1945.

Vincenzo had a son Pasquale born in Italy about 1881 who immigrated to the United States between 1882 and 1883 according to census reports. Pasquale was married in Manhattan, NY on 9 Nov 1905 to Maria Gallo who was born in Italy about 1878 daughter of Alfonso Gallo and Rosa Donnadio. They had three children Alfred (Alfanso 1908) Rose (1910) and Joseph (1914).

Vincenzo and Caterina had three children, Maurice (1895-7/6/1941), John (Giovanno 18 Jul 1897-Nov 1974) and Joseph (Giuseppe Jan 1900-?).

John, whose nickname was Charlie, married Emma Cerbone (Emmanneta 16 Nov 1903 - 23 Mar 1998) on 11 Dec 1926. Emma’s parents were Anthony Cerbone (Antonio 11 Dec 1881 - Mar 1970) and Louise Montesano (Lucia abt 1884 - ?) Louise immigrated about 1897.

Anthony’s parents were Giacomo Cerbone and Gaetana Colletti (abt 1851- 17 Jan 1939). Gaetana and Anthony immigrated to NY in the 1890’s. Gaetana parents were Antonio Coletti and Lucia Di Carlo.

Louise’s parents were Mauritzia Montesano and Emmanuela Allegretti (same as Caterina?) both born in Italy. Mauritzia and Emmanuella also a son named Peter (Pietro) born in Italy on 15 Jun 1866 and died in Manhattan, NY on 8 Jan 1942. Peter married Filomena Parrillo in Manhattan on 13 Jun 1897.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Battista, Montesano, Ricciarde, Olivette, Cerbone, Colletti, Di Carlo, Allegretti

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a POSSIBLE naturalization record for Pasquale Battista in 1927 in New York.
Lists his birthplace as Chiaremonte (Chiaramonti Gulfi, Ragusa Province, Sicily; OR Chiaramonti, Sassari, Sardinia), Italy.
Wife is Marie. His birthdate Dec 1879 (close to your information of 1881).

Name: Pasquale Battista
Declaration Age: 47
Record Type: Declaration
Birth Date: 22 Dec 1879
Birth Place: Chiaremonte Italy
Arrival Date: Apr 1886
Arrival Place: New York, New York
Declaration Date: 21 Nov 1927
Declaration Place: New York, USA
Spouse: Marie
Declaration Number: 144648

https://s28.postimg.org/68hp6wdvh/007795535_01528.jpg

Since Pasquale's records show that he sailed from Naples, I suspect the correct place of birth is Chiaramonti, Sassari, Sardinia.
While I do not find any online records for this comune, you can rent and view the microfilmed records at your nearest LDS Family History Center.
Here is a link to the list of films held by LDS for Chiaramonti, Sassari, Sardinia.
Nati=births; Martrimoni=marriages.
You could be able to find Pasquale's birth in December 1879, and possibly his parents' marriage if you look at the years prior to his birth. Since Pasquale was named for his grandfather, he was probably their firstborn son.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

T.
khoney
Elite
Elite

Re: Battista, Montesano, Ricciarde, Olivette, Cerbone, Colletti, Di Carlo, Allegretti

Post by khoney »

Thank yo so very much! The one of the thing the our family has wondered about the most is where in Italy the Battistas came from. Everything I had come across before just listed "Italy".

Again, thank you.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

khoney wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 18:12 Thank yo so very much! The one of the thing the our family has wondered about the most is where in Italy the Battistas came from. Everything I had come across before just listed "Italy".

Again, thank you.
You could also write directly to the comune of Chiaramonti to request Pasquale's birth and his parents' marriage record.
Write in Italian and include your photo ID and an email address so you can be reached. Do not send $$$ until/unless you are asked.
Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Chiaramonti
Via San Giovanni
07030 Chiaramonti (SS)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... tter3.html
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... talrecords

T.
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Hi Tessa,

Thank you for the additional information. In addition to the other items you pointed out the address matches his 1920 census.

I have been viewing the scanned birth records on FamilySearch and after 100+ pages and several years of index's I have not come across anyone with the last name of Battista.

Before continuing I hope you can let me know if I am not looking in the correct place. Is: Italy, Olbia-Tempio, Temp...on (Tribunale), 1866-1910 Sassari Tempio Pausania Nati 1866-1895 correct?

Thank you again,
K
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

That is the correct Province (Sassari), but I do not see the comune of Chiaramonti listed among the towns.

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043493

T.
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Tessa,

Sorry to be a pest but I am so excited about tracking down where the Battistas came from to share with the rest of the family. I will write a letter as you suggested earlier.

Another question if I may. How did you locate the Declaration? Since other branches of my families also immigrated finding the naturalization papers would be extremely helpful.

Thank you,
K
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I located the naturalization record on Ancestry.

If you can give me some details, I will see if I can locate naturalization records for your other ancestors. :-) IF they naturalized....

FYI - you may want to write also to Chiaramonti Gulfi, Ragusa province, Sicily, just to cover the possibilities.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Corso Umberto, 65
97012 Chiaramonte Gulfi (RG)
ITALY

T.
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Hi Tessa,

I am writing to both comunes today and would like to take you up on your generous offer to check out another family member from the maternal side who became a US citizen.

Antonio (Anthony or Tony) Cerbone was born on 1881 or 1882 to Giacomo Cerbone and Gaetana Coletti (1851 to 17 Jan 1939).
Antonio and his mother Gaetana arrived in NY in 1893 or 1894. Gaetana was never naturalized however the 1920 census shows Antonio as an alien and the 1930 shows Immigration Year: 1900 and Naturalization: Naturalized.

Hopefully you can find something that shows where to Cerbone Coletti family came from so I can research the available record in Familysearch and the archives online before I finally signup for Ancestry.com. In the meantime I am also reviewing some of the instruction videos on Ancestry.com to be prepared.

Again thank you.
K
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I will give it a try! :-)

FYI - I believe you can access Ancestry for free in most public libraries...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post the link to the 1920 Census that you referenced above?

Did Giacomo Cerbone immigrate?

T.
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Hi Tessa,

Attached are the two census pages.

I really appreciate your help with this. Where I live Ancestry.com is not available through the library nor the State Archives Office. The local history/ancestry group disbanded a few years ago and the closest Family History Center is about 30 miles away so I am trying to do everything online that I can find.

Many, many thanks
k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.