Records from late 1700 to early 1800's Messina area

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
isaballe
Rookie
Rookie

Records from late 1700 to early 1800's Messina area

Post by isaballe »

I'm looking for birth, marriage and death certificates for the Messina area. Are these records available online anywhere? Do I have to write for Italy for them? Thank you!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Records from late 1700 to early 1800's Messina area

Post by adelfio »

What part of Messina and who are you looking for and what year?

Heres a link to the records of Messina
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/?q=gallery

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

The "antenati" records start at 1820. For earlier records, you'd need to contact the specific church(es) in which the baptism, marriage, or funeral services were performed.

For my part, I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has had access to records for the mother church in Gioiosa Marea (Messina) regarding records prior to 1820.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran

Post by datxcali »

Based on my research, we're not finding anything without physically going to the area and going to the parish ourselves, which I plan on doing next year.

If you want, you can send me the name of your ancestor and I could try to see if I'm able to find anything (no guarantee though since I've never done it before and I'll be looking for my multiple family lines).