Carmela Maimone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Carmela Maimone

Post by Athena »

Trying to find info on Carmela Maimone married to Guiseppe L'Abbte.All I have on them is their daughter Basilia who was born in 1825 and died in 1984.Anyone with any info or who can help will be greatly appreciated.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Carmela Maimone

Post by Italysearcher »

I assume you mean she died in 1884. If it was in Italy you should be able to get her death record. If you don't know the town, there are tips on my website.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Hi, No I don't know or anything about her other then what I posted. I just know who she married and her daughter's name
Yes, 1894 not 1984. Meaning her daughter died in 1894.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

L'abbate is not a very common surname, so assuming Carmela and Giuseppe married in Italy, you are definitely looking in southern Italy. L'abbate being most typical of Bari and Maimone being a Sicilian name.

Providing more information will help. I know you say you know nothing more than what you said in your opening post, but one question I have is where did you get this information? Do you know where the daughter was born, where she died, etc. Try to paint the fullest picture you can of the surrounding family members of Carmela because any detail can potentially help a genealogist or fellow researcher come up with an idea. :)

*(not Guiseppe, that is a common American spelling error. But it is the difference between the sound of "Jew-sep" which is proper and "Gooey-sep" which sounds silly)
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Basilia L'Abbate
1825–1894

BIRTH 1825 • Santo Stefano, Di Camastra, Italy
DEATH 24 AUG 1894 • Santo Stefano, Di Camastra, Italy
she's my 3rd great-grandmother

Actually someone helped me on this site and gave me Basilia's parents names.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

yes, I've seen Guiseppe spelled that way and Giuseppe this way.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

There is only one spelling. Giuseppe. Guiseppe is not a name.

Santo Stefano di Camastra. There is no comma. It is a town in Sicily in Messina.

You want to use this site to continue your research: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... +Camastra/

However when I look in 1825 I do not see Basilia L'Abbate. Considering you do not have a precise date, I am guessing it is circa 1825 based on her age at death.

But basically what you want to do is browse the indexes every year to find
a) the births of all of the children of Carmela, to see if her place of birth is listed on any of them
b) the marriage of Carmela to see if her place of birth and parents are listed
c) the death of Carmela.

Not all of the years have indexes so it might mean some effort to browse through document by document.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Yes, I went by the date of death.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

WOW! Where did u find this site?
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Yes, I do all that stuff. A lot of work though...lol
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Do they have a sit like this for Castelbuono?
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

It is one site for all of Italy, its just a question of what has been uploaded and what has not. Palermo province is not up yet

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/?q=gallery
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Can you translate this for me? I can't read Italain. It's the marriage of Basilia and Antonio

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

1848, 27 May

Antonio Falcone, 24, born in Gioiosa (which means Gioiosa Marea in Messina, not the Gioiosa in Calabria), labourer, from unknown parents. (could be he was an orphan or foundling).

And Basilia L'Abbate, 23, daughter of the deceased Giuseppe and the deceased Carmela Maimone both having died in this town.

So basically you know Basilia's parents both died before she was married which is useful.