Carmela Maimone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Re: Carmela Maimone

Post by Athena »

So I think somewhere there was a mistake on Antonio's last name. His last name is Ballato not Falcone. I know this is the right ppl because of her parents and found birth records with his last name being Ballato.

On a record I found his parents are, Domenico Ballato and Maria Cosimo.
Useful because I now know they died before 1848?
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

You know Basilia's parents died before the marriage, which means now you know they died sometime between Basilia's birth and her marriage so you can limit your search to find them.

The mistake on the marriage is not something you should assume. I am sorry but Antonio Falcone of unknown parents does not get accidentally changed from Antonio Ballato who did have parents, because other documents would be required when getting married including things like the baptism of each spouse. So it is not likely an error, though not impossible per say.

Where did you find the man's birth? Are you sure this is not a potential first spouse and that Basilia did not marry twice? Do not make assumptions. In genealogy you can ONLY rely on the facts that the documents give you.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

In fact it is NOT a mistake, I just found Antonio Falcone of unknown parents born in Gioiosa....so either there is a second marriage somewhere in that town, or this is not your Basilia l'Abbate.....

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

This is from a record I found on familysearch and it was translated for me.

Antonino Ballato, age 50, a peasant born in Giojosa (Gioiosa) died at 6 P.M. in his own house in the quartiere Piano (Piano district or neighborhood) on Jul 19, 1872. He was the husband of Basilia L'Abbate, the daughter of dec Domenico L'Abbate and dec Maria Cosimo.

I have no idea why her parents' names are given and not Antonino's, but this is how the record reads. I also see that her father's name differs from what it was in her marriage record that Livio translated for you.

So it appears that Domenico [Ballato :wink: , not L'Abbate] and Maria Cosimo were the parents of Antonino Ballato :wink: on this death act ...
as Livio :-) stated.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

So I've been looking at the Morti and found Giuseppe L'Abbate in 1848, but when I go look for the record I can't find him same with Carmela in the 1846.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Again you are assuming the two Antonio are the same. I am asking you not to assume....there may be two different marriages. One husband could have died and she could have got remarried. If they are in fact the same person then it seems there may be an issue where Antonio was recoginized by his legitimate parents years after his birth, but that seems doubtful....

Please seriously consider looking for the death of Antonio Falcone and another marriage for Basilia....I am not really excited to help someone who is not thorough. :p
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Okay I just found Antonino Ballato's birth.

So now I have found Antonio Falcone's birth AND Antonino Ballato's birth. So they are not the same person!
There are either two Basilia, or she married two different men at different times.

And since each Basilia has different parents listed, I am guessing you have made a huge error and mixed up two different Basilia into one person....

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 7.jpg.html
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

So this is a lot to take in and I have to look into.
I truly appreciate all your help on this.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

No problem. This is one of the dangers of genealogy in Italy. In America you get used to surnames being unusual. Like only one Marcucci family in a whole town. But in Italy, because families did not move a lot, you will have many people with the same name alive at the same time in a town who are only distant cousins. Like you could have three Francesco Galli, and none of them might be related, all alive at the same time in the same town of 2,000 people.

You must be very vigilant and very careful. Never guess someone is the right person just because they have the right name. Rethink it, and if you need help working it out post here and people will help.

One idea is go through the entire town, every year, every birth, death and marriage, and write down every single one that has the same surname as the one you are researching. Then build trees for everyone in that town with that surname to see how they connect, that way you have it all straight in your head. Its not the only way to do it but its an idea if you are getting confused.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Your last paragraph is a good idea. Very time consuming, but useful.

What's really going to help is this website u sent me! Being able to have records go back that far is helpful.