Connecting the Russo dots

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Connecting the Russo dots

Post by frankdamore »

Hey everyone,

Hope you all have been doing great.

My consistent searches had rewarded me immensely (many thanks to your direction from the past), however, my one roadblock is the Russo side of my family. If anyone has any direction for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ancestry.com was used heavily in my searches and came up blank. On familysearch.org, I was able to uncover my great grandparents marriage certificate and my great grandma's birth record. I contacted the church and he confirmed my great grandma's baptism.

I am trying to uncover if there were additional brother's and sister's to Grace (Orazia) Russo? I do have information on her brother, Rosario. I am also trying to find more info on her parents to further link their families (ultimate goal of capturing her grandparents info).

My Great grandma is: Grace (Orazia) Russo - born on 3/2/1894 in Fiumefreddo
Her father is Ignazio Russo. - Born about 1855. Possibly immigrated to Australia from what my records show. Death sometime after 1915?
Her mother is Calogera Belfiore. There is a record of a census in Youngstown Ohio where Grace lived, however, the names on the census are Franchia. It shows Calogera as widowed. Uncertain if that is her.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Siblings, parents, hints where to look, etc.

Thank you!
lcmor
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Connecting the Russo dots

Post by lcmor »

Hi Frank!!

How are you? Hope all is well your end.

Regarding Grace's siblings, there is an easy-ish way to do this: You should in theory be able to contact the Comune in Fiumefreddo and ask for a copy of the 10 year index of births 'indici decennali' around the year of Grace's birth. If they are good and helpful they will do this for you with no problems. From there you can hazard a good guess as to who Grace's siblings were and check online for the names that come up in the index. If the index states the parents names too, which sometimes they do, then you will be in no doubt as to who Grace's siblings were. If they're not so good and helpful the state archives may have a copy of this and they almost certainly, if they have it, will make you a copy and send it to you for a small fee (3 euros a sheet I believe).

At the same time as asking for a copy of the index you should be able to get a copy of Ignazio's birth certificate. On his birth certificate, it should state the name of his wife Calogera and the date of their marriage, which will help you trace her date of birth through their marriage certificate. It will be a long-ish process however, as things really take time here.

Good luck with your search! Keep in touch!!

Laura
FROM ABRUZZO WITH LOVE genealogy services
http://www.abruzzowithlove.com
Find us on...
Facebook: /abruzzowithlove
Twitter: @abruzzowithlove
Instagram: abruzzowithlove
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Have you actually had a Comune send you a copy of the 10 year index? The index will only be helpful if the surname is uncommon OR the index also contains the name of the father of the child.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

Thanks, Laura.

I sent a letter to the commune building. I also inquired if they could search for a marriage record for Ignazio and Calogera.

Hoping to get some more info!