Belfiore (Cordova) birth

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Belfiore (Cordova) birth

Post by frankdamore »

Hello again,

When my great grandfather was alive, he mentioned that his grandparents (on his mother's side) were named Antonio and Paola. His mother's name was Francesca Belfiore (born in 1867 in Bagheria).

I have not been able to locate that birth record, or even the marriage record between Giovanni Cordova and Francesca Belfiore (my guess would be between 1875 - 1884).

I came across a Francesca Paola Belfiore (born in 1842) married to a Antonio Dell'Anna. The last name would be different but everything is very similar (Paola and Antonio...just with the last name Dell'Anna instead).

Does anyone have any resources to pull the birth record of Francesca? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

FD
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Belfiore (Cordova) birth

Post by erudita74 »

Here's a link to the 1867 birth index for Bagheria and I don't see a Francesca Belfiore listed. The other thing is that, if she was born in 1867, there is no way she married as early as 1875

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2051639
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you just clarify a bit?

You say Francesca Belfiore was born in 1867, and married as early as 1875? (at age 8????)

I searched the Bagheria births for 1867 and did not find her :-(

T.

Hi erudita! Came to the same conclusion... sorry about the duplicate post :-)

I also checked the marriage publication records in Bagheria from 1884 onward, but did not find Giovanni or Francesca - in fact, saw NO Cordova or Belfiore marriages... in those years.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

Definitely did not mean 1875. I would hope they do not start that early! Their first child was born in 1884 (she would have been 17/18 then).

Maybe the area of marriage or birth is different for Francesca?

Giovanni Cordova was born in Bagheria in 1863 (her husband).
Francesca Belfiore (on a cousin's tree is shown to be born in Crema)
Their children (first born in 1884) was born in Caincatti. My gpa (born 1893) was born in Bagheria.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep searching! Not having any success with familysearch
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a birth act for SALVATORE CORDOVA born in 1892 in Bagheria
Dated 16 September 1892 at the town office in Bagheria
Appeared Anna Di Salvo, 38, housewife residing in Bagheria, to declare that at 8 PM on the 13th of the current month, at the house in Via Cipressi (no number) to Francesca Belfiore, age 26, wife of Giovanni Cordova, age 29, guard, both residing in Baheria, was born a male child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name SALVATORE
Witnesses to the record: Cesare Muzzi, 28, clerk; and Salvatore Campanella, 40, clerk.
The declarant (Di Salvo) made the declaration and presentation in place of the husband of Belfiore, because she assisted with the birth and because the husband was absent.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2051639

Ages in this birth put DOB for Francesca about 1866, and for Giovanni about 1863.

I will take another look at the publication of marriages in Bagheria from 1882 - 1884 to see if I can locate them. There SHOULD be a publication notice in the town of the groom even if the marriage took place elsewhere.

EDIT TO ADD***

And this birth act for Maria Cristina Cordova in 1885 in Canicatti
Dated 18 October 1885 - birth on the 17th at 1:15 AM
Father: Giovanni Cordova, 22, cart driver(?)
Mother: (very faded and water stained but could definitely be Francesca Belfiore.

Notation of marriage in margin.
Maria Cristina Cordova married Salvatore Fileccia on 12 December 1903.

Maybe if we can locate a marriage allegati (attachments) for this marriage we can find more records... :-)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1946817

T.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

Thanks for the help.

I've been trying to track down Francesca's death record also (in the US) and cannot succeed with that either. It's like she is a ghost (besides the marriage records).

Her first son was Giuseppe Cordova, born 2-7-1884. He married Ignazia (Nancy) Elia. I tried doing some reverse searches and came across a marriage record (after they already had kids) ... https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1614804
As accurate as that looks, the age for Giuseppe must be off. That would date his father (John/Giovanni to only 12 years old, and Francesca even younger).

The search continues!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a link to his WWI Registration Card
DOB 7 Feb 1884 (as you noted)

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/64 ... PUBJs=true

And his WWII - same DOB - but place of birth changed from Palermo to "Canigatti" - Canicatti :-)
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/10 ... PUBJs=true

On her arrival manifest in March 1907, Francesca Belfiore lists her place of birth (last colum) as Bagheria.
She is traveling with her children Vincenzo (12) and Celestina (5). Daughter Maria Cristina did not sail or is listed elsewhere on the manifest.
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... PUBJs=true

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

what is the source of Francesca's death date of May 17, 1923 that i see in the collections on family search?

Erudita
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

erudita74 wrote: 17 May 2017, 02:00 what is the source of Francesca's death date of May 17, 1923 that i see in the collections on family search?
I do not believe that is sourced. On my physical tree, I have the date as unknown still. I searched the cemetery where her husband is buried, death records in Ohio, and paid for a vital statistics search through Mahoning County (Ohio) and nothing came back. Frances is on the 1920 census, however not the 1930. Oddly enough, Giovanni isn't on a 1930 census also and he was alive.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Have you checked the Pennsylvania death indices,in case Francesca died there and not in Ohio? Those indices are soundexed for every year-so the soundex for the surname Cordova would be C631. I went through the 1923 and didn't see Francesca. If you get a chance, you may want to check other years.

http://www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Researc ... ces.aspx#2

I see that John died in 1932. His death record is online, and it does say he was a widow at the time of his death, but I can't find him in the 1930 census either.

Erudita
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

Thanks again for the help.

I went through the years and only came across one Cordova in 1929 (Mary).

It's like Frances just disappeared!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome, Frank. Sorry we're not making any headway finding Frances.
Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Is it possible that she was visiting/living with one of her children at the time of her death?
Did they all remain in Ohio?

T.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

Thanks again. She is evasive!

I believe she stayed in Ohio. Her husband, Giovanni, passed in 1932 (in Ohio). My grandmother was in Ohio until about 1938. I even tried trying to get the naturalization docs of my great grandparents (Sam/Salvatore and Grace). The records show they both naturalized. Ohio's database didn't show anything though.

My family stated that Sam Cordova's mother (Frances Belfiore) and Grace's mother (Calogera Belfiore) were related. Not sure if they were sisters or cousins, but I have been trying to use that as a link between.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Have not found Francesca's death, but here is the marriage :-)

Marriage act of Giovanni Cordova and Francesca Belfiore in 1885 in Canicatti
Dated 22 March 1885...
Groom: Giovanni Cordova, unmarried, age 21, carter born in Bagheria and residing in Canicatti; son of Giuseppe residing in Bagheria, and of Cristina Sciortino residing in Bagheria.
Bride: Francesca Belfiore, unmarried, age 19, seamstress born in Caltanissetta, residing in Canicatti; daughter of Antonino residing in Canicatti, and of Paola Sinacori(?) residing in Canicatti.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1946817

T.