re:diocesan records in avellino province

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re:diocesan records in avellino province

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i've been trying to locate several parish records of birth,marriage,and death in several comunes in avellino province(lapio,luogosano,san mango sul calore,and taurasi) with no success.all in the 1775-1805 time period,with 1 being in the 1862-1865 time period. i was told both by a priest that services that area,as well as expert campania researcher joe desimone,that no parish records exist for this area. that would exclude any records prior to 1809,when civil registration began on the mainland(1820 in sicily).just curious as to whether anyone out there has had any success with parish records in this area. i believe the experts but it seems odd that no parish records exist here on any level,either in the local parish comunes or at the actual diocese in avellino. should be duplicate records at the diocese itself. if i can't access records before 1809 that means i can't get past my 2nd great grandparents,which isn't very far back.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: re:diocesan records in avellino province

Post by Italysearcher »

Believe Joe, he is very ethical.
Duplicate records were not made by any parishes that I have searched in until the 1900's.
There have been a lot of BIG earthquakes, wars etc in that area. If the records don't exist then your research stops. End of story, unless they were of the nobility when it MIGHT be possible to search notary records.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i believe joe and i understand the issues of research in that area. but if there are no parish records available in this area,just what records are available in the various parishes in avellino province-and what is stored in the archdiocese itself in avellino? does he mean that the time period i seek(primarily 1775-1805)doesn't exist,but later records do? my understanding is that all parish records in the individual comunes send copies to the diocese itself. that means 2 copies of the birth,marriage,and death acts. 1 in the parish and 1 at the archdiocese. or are the various parishes,including the diocese itself,only holding records after the 1800s? i did recieve 1 marriage from 1803 for my 2nd great grandparents,so some of these church records must exist. pretty confusing.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

If any of your relatives are from Greci, there's an excellent website for this comune - http://www.grecicousins.com/1.html
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

no. theyre from lapio,luogosano,san mango sul calore,and taurasi. no online databases for them unfortunately. already did all the relevant lds films years ago.
jmanwarren

Post by jmanwarren »

@mezzogiorno62 - I know this message thread is old, but I wanted to make sure you knew that the San Mango records are now online. You can access them at ItalianParishRecords.org - https://www.italianparishrecords.org/se ... go-daquino