Searching for information on the Altiero family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Searching for information on the Altiero family

Post by Liberati »

Hello - I wanted to see if I could get help researching the Altiero side of my family. My Great-Great-Grandmother was named Benedetta Altiero, and she was born in 1876 in Colobraro Italy. She later marked Egidio Gulfo (aka George Wolfe) and immigrated to the United States in the 1910s, settling in Niles, Ohio. She died in 1963 and had two brothers named Guy and Jim. Benedetta's father was named Joseph Altiero who was born in 1850 in Colobraro and died in 1918 in Niles, OH. Her mother was named Roseline Ricciulli and she was born in 1853 in Colobraro and died in 1933 in Niles, OH. In some family documents, I've also seen the name spelled "Altieri." Any leads anyone could would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Searching for information on the Altiero family

Post by suanj »

The surname spelling is Altieri no doubt... on line just the marriages and deaths in Colobraro on 1850..
for exemple( just abt the surname spelling) here the marriage in Colobraro on 4 aug 1850, of
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 4.jpg.html pag 1

Gaetano Altieri 19 old, born and residing in Colobraro,farmer, son of Nicola Altieri and Maria Gulfo, and Maria Vittoria Gulfo, 20 old, born and residing in Colobraro, daughter of Agostino Gulfo and of late Maria Bernardo

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0 pag 2

No doubts, the surname spelling is Altieri...
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Thank you so much, suanj!!! Yes - I have seen the "Altieri" spelling show up before, so I was wondering if that was the actual spelling of the surname. I suspect that "Altiero" is an Americanized version of the name. And interestingly enough, Gulfo is a surname that shows up on the Liberati side of my family as well - that line of Gulfos is also from Colobraro, so I'm sure it's the same family. Very exciting information to discover! Thanks again!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

So would the Gaetano Altieri and Maria Gulfo mentioned here be the parents then of the Joseph Altieri that I mentioned above?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Very probably!
I believe yes....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi - there were a couple of Altieri families in Hubbard, Ohio (in same county as Niles), a hundred years ago. I think there's still an Altieri there now. One of my long-ago cousins (born in 1870) was Filomena Altieri from Colobraro. She ended up in Sharon, PA in 1900, married to John Ciufo. A Giuseppe Gulfo (Wolf) from Colobraro married one of my 3x great aunts, Maria Scarpino. My Scarpinos were also from Colobraro; my great-grandma, Rosolina (Scarpino) Tucciarone settled in Hubbard, which is my hometown.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

joetucciarone - Wow!!! Thanks for sharing that information! We must be distantly related then - in the very least by marriage. I'll have to look back through my notes to see if there are any Scarpinos in my family - the name does sound familiar. Thanks again!
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

joetucciarone - and PS - my wife, kids, and I actually visited Niles back in July with a cousin who grew up there and now lives in the Cleveland suburbs (we live in Virginia). It was so neat to see all of the old family homes and graves and such. Really brought the family history to life!
Aaltiero

Post by Aaltiero »

This thread is from a couple years back, but I'm just finding it. My name is Adam Altiero. I'm the great grandson of Guy Altiero, or, as I've come to find out, Gaetano Altieri. I've read through this, as well as the thread from "Liberati" (my cousin) that concerned the Gulfo family. I found this about a month ago by accident, and through Christmas connected all of this to the documents available through my immediate family, culminating in receiving my grandfather's birth certificate: born James Joseph Altieri, March 7, 1917, in Niles, Ohio. His name, along with his birthday, was changed 2 weeks later. It's been a real familial rollercoaster for a couple of weeks. I guess I just want to say thank you. If there's anything anyone can tell me about my family I would be really appreciative. I still live in Poland, Ohio (not far from Niles), and am still digging to find out as much as I can.