USCIS Genealogy Index Request - Wait Time..

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
London82
Elite
Elite

USCIS Genealogy Index Request - Wait Time..

Post by London82 »

Has anyone submitted an index search since the new rates ($65.00 ea.) are in effect? What was your wait time like for a response from USCIS?
VotM
Elite
Elite

Re: USCIS Genealogy Index Request - Wait Time..

Post by VotM »

Not exactly an answer to your question, but...

In July of 2016, before the new rates went into effect, I submitted two requests for records; one for naturalization papers and one for the documents behind an alien registry certificate. In both cases I already had the necessary index numbers.

The first request took seven months. The second sat in a "printed and waiting for proofreading" status from March-July of this year before I finally received a letter in August stating that the records I requested weren't accessible and that I would be sent a refund within 30 days.

I'll add that every attempt I made to contact USCIS regarding that second request was met with either an automated form E-mail or a direct routing to voicemail which was never acknowledged.

Somehow I don't expect better service with the new fees.
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran

Post by datxcali »

Unfortunately, I didn't get into genealogy until this year. USCIS has a ton of records that I want.

Needless to say, I'm spending money right now.

So far, I've put in 5 requests. My first one, an index search in March, took 4 months. My second one, a C-file, I ordered 2 months ago. At some point, it went into "Pending FOIA" and hasn't moved since. My third one, also a C-file, I ordered on 7/19. I have been tracking that one closely. About 2 weeks later, it went into "Pending FOIA".

So it seems like an index search will take about 4 months. From what I've been hearing, the actual document will take anywhere from 7 months to a year.

Pretty crazy that I'm paying $65 a pop for such a crappy service for something that really should be available to the public.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

If you're looking for naturalization records, try NARA instead:

https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

You'll need to set up a login (free) to make requests. The price is cheaper, turnaround is faster, the quality of the images is better, and you won't find any redacted lines.
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran

Post by datxcali »

VotM wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 13:40 If you're looking for naturalization records, try NARA instead:

https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

You'll need to set up a login (free) to make requests. The price is cheaper, turnaround is faster, the quality of the images is better, and you won't find any redacted lines.
The problem with this is that they only have records for people that naturalized through a federal court, not a local court.

For me, I checked both the NARA and local courts for my GGF's naturalization. They had nothing. But when I submitted an index search to USCIS, there it was!
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

datxcali wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 10:13 Unfortunately, I didn't get into genealogy until this year. USCIS has a ton of records that I want.

So far, I've put in 5 requests. My first one, an index search in March, took 4 months. My second one, a C-file, I ordered 2 months ago. At some point, it went into "Pending FOIA" and hasn't moved since. My third one, also a C-file, I ordered on 7/19. I have been tracking that one closely. About 2 weeks later, it went into "Pending FOIA".

So it seems like an index search will take about 4 months. From what I've been hearing, the actual document will take anywhere from 7 months to a year.

Pretty crazy that I'm paying $65 a pop for such a crappy service for something that really should be available to the public.

I ordered my index search May 6th for my Great Grandfather's Naturalization Document and still just says "Active" :( It's so frustrating this is the only document I'm waiting for to complete all documents needed for my Italian Dual Citizenship.. ugh.....
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

datxcali wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 10:13 Unfortunately, I didn't get into genealogy until this year. USCIS has a ton of records that I want.

I totally agree with you! The price is so unfair for the amount of time we have to wait for the documents!!!
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran

Post by datxcali »

London82 wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 05:54

I ordered my index search May 6th for my Great Grandfather's Naturalization Document and still just says "Active" :( It's so frustrating this is the only document I'm waiting for to complete all documents needed for my Italian Dual Citizenship.. ugh.....
It's better than it used to be from what I've read.

I did end up getting my document on August 19. So from the beginning of the index search to receiving the document was a little less than 5 months. This is down from the 18-24 months that it used to be.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Thank you for your information Datxcali!
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Today (9/7/17) I finally received an e-mail from USCIS stating they have located my great grandfather's C-File and gave me the file number.
I put in a request today for the Naturalization C-file which is another $65.00...
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

I decided to order "Just the Naturalization Certificate" through mail and order the C-file online to see which one gets to me faster, I'll update this post once I receive the document!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Got an update on the electronic file request today which says
* Pending QA - The requested file was received, duplicated, and printed, and is awaiting review for accuracy, legibility, and completeness.
Will update once this status changes.

No update on the mailed file request yet.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

London82 wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 04:58 Got an update on the electronic file request today which says
* Pending QA - The requested file was received, duplicated, and printed, and is awaiting review for accuracy, legibility, and completeness.
I had this status on my last request from February to July. At the end of July I received a letter telling me, essentially, that the office which oversaw the retirement of the A-File was unable to recover it. (So much for the file being "received, duplicated, and printed"!) I was told that I would receive a refund for $35 -- the cost at the time I made my request for a record retrieval of this type -- within 30 days.

Last Saturday the refund finally arrived... but for only $20.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Today 9/29/17 my electronic file request status was updated to

Current Status: Pending
Sub-Status: Pending FOIA *

* Pending FOIA - Document(s) found within the requested file contain third party information and are undergoing required FOIA/PA review by the USCIS Genealogy Program. This case is not with the USCIS Freedom of Information Program and this case number cannot be utilized to check status on any other website.

Still no update on my postal mail request
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran

Post by datxcali »

The USCIS is a mess.

I ordered naturalization records for multiple ancestors (one for dual citizenship, others just to get pictures of ancestors).

The first one that I ordered has still not arrived, but the other 3 have, including one that I ordered earlier this month. All went through a FOIA.