Passport records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Passport records

Post by Eleven »

I saw someone mention passport records in one of the threads. Are there records online for passports?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Passport records

Post by adelfio »

ancestry.com
Who are you looking for date and name

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
RosalindJones
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RosalindJones »

I'm looking for 'travel records' as well - would most people have travelled by ship does anyone know? My family were from Asti province - as I right this would mean they went form Genoa?
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I am not really looking for anyone. I was just curious. If I think of someone, I will let you know. Thanks for asking.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Well, I thought of someone..lol

Several years ago, I discovered that my grandmother returned to Italy with her first 3 children. They were very young. I have no idea why she would have returned there and then came back.

Can someone search for the passport of Lucia or Lucy DiBattista. It would have had to be about 1910. You might have to try the search as just Battista, also. She would be about 21 years old. Maiden name Sardanopoli. Thank you so much.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Can someone please check for the passport of the above. Thank you so much.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Can you list husbands names children and where they lived in the USA

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Don't know if you have these records or not

Birth record of Maria Lucia Sardanopli
INDEX#179
1889 April 13th in the town of Rionero In Vulture in a house on via San Martino #2 birth of Maria Lucia Sardanopli daughter of Vito Sardanopli age 47 shoemaker and his wife Maria Concetta Ricciardelli

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1483052

Birth record of Antonio Di Battista
INDEX#217
1887 June 13th in the town of Rionero In Vulture in a house on via Savanarolo #54 birth of Antonio Di Battista son of Francesco Di Battista age 34 bellmaker and his wife Santarosa Tucciarello age 34 weaver

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1483052

Marty

Marty
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Yes, I have had all of those for years. I started my family searching back in 1992...before the internet.

Her husband did not accompany her on this trip, but his name is Antonio DiBattista.

Lucia/Lucy Sardanopoli (DiBattista) was with her 3 children. They lived in Manhattan. (NYC)

I have the ship passenger manifest for this trip. They entered the usa on June 11, 1911. I just looked at it..she traveled under her maiden name Sardanopoli. The children traveled under their names DiBattista, which was poorly written as DRattista. The first names of the children are Concetta, Santa and Francesco.

I have the manifest, I dont need that. I figured for her to leave this country, she needed a passport. It is the passport that I want.

There is a sort of funny story that goes along with this. For years, I couldnt find their 1910 census record. I have had to deal with such horrendous name spellings for them. I had joined ancestry a few times, as they added new records. Dont ask me how, but one of the times, I found the husband (who was my grandfather). He showed as a boarder with his sister's family. Just him. Not the wife and not the 3 kids that I knew she had at that point. (My mother became their 4th child, but not until 1912. After her, there were 5 more.)

I knew this was him..because I already knew who his sister married. So..now, I am wondering where she was with her children. They didnt divorce..but where was she? I think I spent the next week, going block by block through the census records of Mahattan, trying to keep to the Italian neighborhoods, looking for her with her children.I never found a thing.

Years later, I happened to go to the Morse site for Ellis Island lookups. You can search various ways. I wasnt looking for anything in particular, but I just used their town, Rionero as the only search word. When I came to that poorly written name, the childen's first names stuck out for me..so I went to look at the actual record and that is how I knew it was them. The children, of course, are dead now. They were my aunts and uncle. I would bet money that they never even knew they were there. I never once ever heard anyone in my family mention it.

So..then I figured, they must have gone for a while and this is why he moved in with the sister. I then wondered why she went.

When family search got the records for this town...in I went, trying to find someone who may have died around that time or shortly after. Nothing show up other than her christening her brothers child.

Some mysteries we will never learn.

Anyway, it is just her passport I am looking for.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

It may be that they travelled with documents issued by the town rather than an actual passport as we know them. An identity card, foglio di via, etc. Not all passport records have survived.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I searched for passport for Lucia/Lucy Sardanopoli (DiBattista) and Concetta, Santa and Francesco no luck I will look some more.

Do you have a public tree anywhere online

Marty

Marty
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

No, I have no public tree online.

I thought if you lived in the USA, which she did from 1902 or so, in order to leave, you needed a usa passport. I am just curious as to when she left to go there..since he lived with his sister in 1910. And what was she doing there all of that time. The 1910 census was, I believe taken in June. Obviously, she was already gone..not to return until June of the following year.

I never met these grandparents. She died while she was in her 30s, leaving behind all of those children, the youngest being 16 months old. My mother, was 13 at the time. My mother had vague stories about her mother and never did she mention that she went back to Italy for a period of time. I dont think any of those children knew that. Those 3 children (Santa died at 10 years old) were too young to remember going on a trip like that. Nobody ever spoke of it.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

My mistake. The 1910 census was taken in April, not June..which means she was gone for an even longer time.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Can you leave the link to that shipmanifest of Santa and Concetta ?
Do you have the marriage records of Vito Sardanopli and Maria Concetta Ricciardelli and Antonio Di Battista and Santarosa Tucciarello?

Marty

Marty
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Yes, I have the marriage records. I am going to have to try and get to the manifest again since I dont have the link.