Vincenzo Funaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Vincenzo Funaro

Post by cdar1231 »

***SORRY to all who already read this i posted it on the wrong board...***

I would like to request the help of one of the special angels from this site who help people: It's a rather long story but the short version is that i've identified 3 Funaro family groups and i'm trying to prove that they are related to each other and right now the key seems to be Vincenzo Funaro. He was known in the US as Vincenzo James Funaro. He was born 17 Dec 1875 in Sambiase, Calabria and died in Los Angeles on 23 June 1962. He was married to Carmela Miletta. We believe that his father's name was Luigi but don't know his mother's name. We are also not sure of the names of any brothers or sisters but think there was likely a brother named Francesco aka Frank. I'm hoping someone could help find a birth record or anything else that could be helpful. Thank you in advance!

-chris
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Vincenzo Funaro

Post by Biff83 »

Since records for Sambiase are not available on Antenati and Familysearch's records end in 1865, you'll need the comune of Lamezia Terme to request Vincenzo's birth act to determine parents' names; Sambiase is became a hamlet in the town of Lamezia Terme.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Thank you!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

HIs 1900 manifest shows his destination was Columbus OH joining family. Here's a 1900 census for Lewis aka Luigi Funaro with sons James born Dec 1874?, Frank and Thomas. Wife's name is Sicala or Sicalo which I'm guessing was her maiden name.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Vincenzo's/James 1900 ship manifest, line 16. Last residence Sambiase. Destination Columbus OH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1920 census for Louis and Maria Funaro and children, line 43 and following. New children Joseph and Rose.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Brother Thomas' marriage record showing parents"names, Louis Luigi Funara and Maria Sicolo
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Dear Biff83,

Thank you so much for all this. I looks like all the records you found are the right family; thank you again. I had been led to believe by family that the parents, (Luigi and Maria Carmela Sicola) never gave to the US -- it seems clear that was wrong. So it now seems that i asked the wrong question because despite all this wonderful evidence and documentation, i still don't know how Luigi Funaro fits into the rest of the Funaro family tree that i have. Did you happen upon any documents with Luigi's parents? Also, in your initial post, you mentioned contacting Lamezia Terme. I have no idea how to go about doing that. Is there a standard form or standard information that they would need? Are you able to provide any guidance on how to go about doing that? And i assume any request should be in Italian.

Thanks so much for your kind assistance,

-chris
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Chris,

There is a Funaro tree on Ancestry which shows the parents of Luigi, born about 1848, as Filippo Funaro (born about 1810) and Saveria Tramontana (born 1825). Also shows siblings of Luigi as:

Cesare G. Funaro 1843–
Serafina Funaro 1844–1844
Gaspare Funaro 1847–
Guglielmo Funaro 1847–1916
Maria Aloisa Funaro 1848–
Gasparina Funaro 1850–
Francesco Funaro 1852–
Gaspare M. Funaro 1854–1928
Maria C. Funaro 1855–
Salvatore A. Funaro 1861–
Carlo Funaro 1864–
Rafaella Funaro 1866–

Also shows Luigi's father Filippo's parents as Tomaso Funaro born about 1785 and Isabella Sirianni (about 1785-1816).

Some of the information is sourced with original acts from Sambiase which were likely accessed via microfilm before it was discontinued by the Family History Centers or from the Antenati site. Unfortunately, Luigi's birth act is not one of the individuals with a source attached but the tree appears to have been done by someone who knows/knew what she/he was doing.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Biff83,

i'm fairly sure that particular tree is wrong; there are quite a few trees that have incorrect Funaro family information. A cousin had some profession genealogist help several years ago and he does not have Luigi as a son of Filippo and Saveria. By the way, the Cesare that you listed first, is my 2nd great grandfather....

-chris
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

P.S. The original documents you mentioned were obtained from the cousin i mentioned above. I've seen his tree and he was the originator of those source documents.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I'm having my doubts about whether Luigi Funaro belonged to the tree on Ancestry I mentioned above. I did not find a Luigi Funaro born in 1848 or 1849 but did find a Luigi Funaro(i), born 30 Jul 1847, parents Vincenzo and Maria Teresa ? (still trying to decipher her surname, could use some help).
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

That could be right! Family lore says that the initial Vincenzo was son of Luigi who was son of Vincenzo.... Sorry i can't help much on the document: the handwriting is such a challenge but i'll take a look.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Could it be Maria something Moraca? I have a Maria Theresa Moraca in my tree....
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Would you be so kind to give me a rough translation of this? I think you have done the impossible for us. I'm very excited and can't wait to report back to the family. This just might be the smoking gun..... but i'll await your reply.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

-c