I've now waited a year for my dual citizenship...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

I've now waited a year for my dual citizenship...

Post by john_dominic »

... to be processed and the consulate seems to have still not gotten ANYTHING done.

Does anyone havesome experience with this and is there a way I can contact some higher management in some sort of "head office" in Rome to FORCE them to get their job done?

Thanks!

J
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: I've now waited a year for my dual citizenship...

Post by suanj »

no john the only management that the it recognized from Italian governement is the consulate.. i know that are necessary many time, but need to wait also some year... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbottegal »

You don't say which consulate you are working with. Some have become very backlogged with applications (one consulate apparantly has 80,000), with waiting times at a minimum of 2 years.

Another part of the delay is processing in Italy. Some comunes have been overwhelmed with the paperwork, and they also can take quite a long time.
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by john_dominic »

tbottegal wrote:You don't say which consulate you are working with. Some have become very backlogged with applications (one consulate apparantly has 80,000), with waiting times at a minimum of 2 years.

Another part of the delay is processing in Italy. Some comunes have been overwhelmed with the paperwork, and they also can take quite a long time.
Is there any way I can legally PAY them to move me up in line?

It took me FIVE YEARS to get the documents (albeit, not continuously - which would make it more like 2-2.5 years) and I do not want this to take a decade!! :(
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

John, I am going through the same Consulate (Chicago) as you, and still waiting.

However, I did speak with the consular official on January 18, and he told me that there is a "protocol" between the Miami Consulate and the comune in Italy. I only asked him if all my documents were in order and ok, and he said 'yes'. So, I was under the impression that if the documents are ok, then he would send me a letter, and send my documents to italy, to be recorded. I will be calling him again in a few days, but this next time, I will be asking several more questions, particularly what he means by protocol, and why is Miami involved, since it`s not my jurisdiction.

It seems that I am close, but that could also translate to more delay, since they are so busy.
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by john_dominic »

italy50 wrote:John, I am going through the same Consulate (Chicago) as you, and still waiting.

However, I did speak with the consular official on January 18, and he told me that there is a "protocol" between the Miami Consulate and the comune in Italy. I only asked him if all my documents were in order and ok, and he said 'yes'. So, I was under the impression that if the documents are ok, then he would send me a letter, and send my documents to italy, to be recorded. I will be calling him again in a few days, but this next time, I will be asking several more questions, particularly what he means by protocol, and why is Miami involved, since it`s not my jurisdiction.

It seems that I am close, but that could also translate to more delay, since they are so busy.
Well, for the record he told me that they're bringing on a second person to help handle the citizenship, but I don't trust anything.

The documents aren't THAT crazy to get processed! They're simple birth, death and marriage certificates! How hard can it be???

I can understand if a queue has been built since we put ours in but I don't remember that many "piles" in the consular's office when I was in there a year ago.

At least, maybe, just maybe my documents will be processed after yours, since you barely beat me in there (was it a week? maybe two?) last year.

Of course, now i'm regretting doing it for my whole family. I know that's going to mean MORE delays, yet again.

Ugh.

If there was a way I could go to Italy and get this done now, i'd do it.

I've got the patience of a saint, but this is too much! :evil:
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

Yes, it is frustrating. i don`t know if the Stato Civile office in the commune would process and record all the documents or not.

However, There is a website called "expattalk.com", where people have gone through the process just as we are. I don`t know if any of them have gone through the Chicago Consulate or not, but they do refer to the LA consulate.
You may wish to ask your question on there, or correspond with a few. It may help.

If you receive any new info on there, maybe you would post it on here?
aarongreco

Post by aarongreco »

Sometimes all you need is the right lawyer. Here's a lawyer in Bologna that claims to be able to get the job done in a matter of months.

-------> http://www.emigrareinitalia.com/