Ability to Look at Records after 1910 in Italy in Person

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran

Ability to Look at Records after 1910 in Italy in Person

Post by datxcali »

Hey all.

I will be traveling to Italy in less than 2 weeks. There does not seem to be many records online after 1910, but I notice that one of my communes has some records up to 1950. Does this mean that I might be able to look at records up until that point at other communes in person....and that they just haven't been uploaded?

If so, where would these records be held?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Ability to Look at Records after 1910 in Italy in Person

Post by adelfio »

Records are held at comune level so you can look them up in person as long as you have the year (date)

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran

Post by datxcali »

adelfio wrote: 08 May 2018, 15:20 Records are held at comune level so you can look them up in person as long as you have the year (date)

Marty
Thanks Marty!

Does that mean that I can't just go in there and look through the books for people like I do on Family Search? Or am I able to do this?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Yes find what time and day they are open and get youselve a good translator and go to the comune office and search for your record as long as you have the info

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I'd be very surprised if you could just start searching in the commune archives without telling the commune official who you're looking for beforehand. A member of my family born in Italy in 1928 has birth circumstances that puzzled me so I asked the commune while I was visiting in person to send me the birth information on her parents. Because she is still living, I was not allowed to have this information. This may be the reason documents from after 1910 are not on line. Italy has strict privacy rules and more longed-lived elderly citizens than any other country in the European Union.
brogie62
Elite
Elite

Post by brogie62 »

Many civil documents after 1910 are available online. The general rule is 100 years for births, usually 75 for marriages, and 50 for deaths but these may vary.
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo