Martorino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
QueenSnow

Martorino

Post by QueenSnow »

Hello, I am looking for information about my great-grandmother. Her name was Josephine Martorino. She was born in 1912 and she passed away in 1996. She was married to a man who was named Leonard Jeffrey. He immigrated to Canada in 1921 after the Spanish Flu killed his mother Rosaria. His name before Canada was Leonardo Giuffre.

My Great-grandmother passed away in Ontario, Canada. From what my grandmother Celeste has told me her Mother's name was Celestina and her Fathers name was Vincent Martorino but this was not his name before he came to Canada. We are currently unaware of his birth name from Italy.

Any info would be awesome. I do not need any info on the Giuffre's unless you have info prior to the 1700's. Any info on any of the Martorino's would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Martorino

Post by PippoM »

Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
QueenSnow

Post by QueenSnow »

The names do not add up though. The first says what I can make out is Jimmie that's what it looks like and maiden name Marcell and on the second one its different. Also her legal first name was Josephine not Josie.
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

I think that PippoM found the correct documents.
Josie is short for Josephine and the difference in spellings maybe due to an English person, unfamiliar with Italian, who wrote the names phonetically. For instance, Celeste is a relatively uncommon in Italy, but both documents have it, with the spelling of the mother's name on the child birth certificate was really screwed up.
QueenSnow

Post by QueenSnow »

adellagreca wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:20 I think that PippoM found the correct documents.
Josie is short for Josephine and the difference in spellings maybe due to an English person, unfamiliar with Italian, who wrote the names phonetically. For instance, Celeste is a relatively uncommon in Italy, but both documents have it, with the spelling of the mother's name on the child birth certificate was really screwed up.
I did confirm with my grandmother that Joseph is her uncle
CMartorino

Post by CMartorino »

Hello, I was visiting Samuel Martorino yesterday, Josie younger brother, he is 98 years old. Also
saw your great-uncle Vince. I encourage you to check The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation,
on July 21, 1907 a Agostino Panofio and Guiseppe Martorino landed from Pachino, Sicily. Later
Agostino Panofio daughter across Corradina Panofio on Oct 29, 1912.