Petruzzis & Verdis in New Jersey

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
FutureNJGov

Petruzzis & Verdis in New Jersey

Post by FutureNJGov »

Hello, my name is Anthony. I'm a newcomer to this board, but not to genealogy. I've been researching my family tree for about 10 years. Unfortunately, I recently lost my electronic records, which had a wealth of data. To compound this problem, my grandmother passed away last month, and she was basically the walking version of my family tree, and knew everyone's birthdays, wedding days, death days, children, you name it. So trying to piece this back together without her assistance has been somewhat hard. But the main point of my post is to inquire whether anyone knows of either the Petruzzi or Verdi family lines in New Jersey. They were mostly situated in Newark (Down Neck), and in fact some of my family owned businesses in the area; mostly luncheonettes and things of that nature. I have several Family Tree Maker CDs, including the Social Security death index, and have located several hundred Verdis and Petruzzis who were born and died within New Jersey. A conservative estimate would be that approximately 60% of them are related to me. If anyone has any information on these branches of my family tree (or if you're on one of them yourself), please either respond to this post or send me a private message. Grazie,

Anthony.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Petruzzis & Verdis in New Jersey

Post by mfjp »

Hi Anthony...

What do you mean you lost your electronic records?

Was your computer stolen? If not... there are recovery services available that may be able to retrieve your files...

Norton Symantics software helped me dig out files that were trashed... (but not all of them...)

I feel so bad for you!! Wish I could help you...

No ged files anywhere?? I could try to open them up on my system and resave them for you...

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Maria
FutureNJGov

Post by FutureNJGov »

Unfortunately, I neglected to transfer files over when I switched hard drives, and then proceeded to unwittingly reformat and blank the old hard drive. This was several months ago, but it wasn't until recently that I discovered that I hadn't transferred the files, since I'm in law school and haven't had time to do research. Luckily I have a lot of paper records, so it's more of a hassle to rebuild everything, but there were things that were never on paper and just went straight into the computer program (Family Tree Maker). Thank you for your concern, I appreciate it.

Anthony.
Macossay

Post by Macossay »

Anthony, if you're still reading this forum, maybe we can help each other. I trying to get Italian citizenship for my mother. Her father, Sabino Petruzzi, was born in Italy on 28 Jul 1885. We have his marriage certificate to Mary Torsiello in 1905, so we know he was in Newark by then. We have his death certificate in 1935, killed by a hit and run driver on New Year's day, on the way home from visiting relatives in Orange. My mother was 7 years old and doesn't remember him well, except that he was sometimes called Sam. Parents are listed on the documents as Andrew (sp?) Petruzzi and Filomena Verdi. Sabino is mispelled as Savino and Torsiello as Trusella on the marriage certificate.

So I need the name of his hometown so I can look for a birth certificate. But man o man, I am coming up with nothing. I think I'm doing it right, but no Sabino, Savino, or Sam Petruzzi in the Census records, the Ellis Islands records, or the Mormon Databases, at least not the stuff I can access on line. Any chance this guy might fit into your family tree? Even the hometown of a close relative might be a good place to look for a birth record. There is a Salvatore Petruzzi listed as the informant on the death certificate, but we don't know who he was.

Best of luck with restoring your database.

John
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

John,
Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!
If you would like to start your own thread perhaps
we can help locate some your grandfather's records.
A new thread would help us keep your family information
separate from Anthony's.
Several of the researchers here have access to some
of the subscription sites that you may have been looking at.
Noticed a couple of possibilities on ancestry.com, but the
birth date was different from the information you have.
Valarie
Macossay

Post by Macossay »

Okay, Valeri, I'll do that.

Thanks,

John