According to the Italians to America Index, 1855-1900, Giovanni Battista Garibaldi arrived in New York from Genoa 7 July 1897, age 24, last residence Chiavari. According to his 1949 death certificate he was born 29 Feb 1873, his father's first name was John and his mother was Maria Raffo. According to his 1903 marriage record, his father's first name was Antonio and his mother's name was Maria C. Raffo; he married Louisa Rovegno. I would like to locate his birth record and confirm his parentage in the Chiavari area. More generally, does anyone know if someone has already done genealogy work on the Garibaldis from the Chiavari area? And is there an emigration database for the Chiavari area? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks,
Michael Menke, mmenke41@gmail.com
Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
Just bumping this for the poster.
Angela
Angela
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
Does this mean you are rejecting my request for help? Have I done something wrong?
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
Absolutely not. It's a great request. It just means that I am unable to spend time researching for you because I am helping at least three other people with their research currently and I also have a special little 3 yr old visiting me shortly, so my time will be completely devoted to him. This site is "manned" by volunteers of which I am one. I also have family, friends, I study, work and am very much involved in my community. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with your request.mmenke wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 20:48 Does this mean you are rejecting my request for help? Have I done something wrong?
Angela
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
Thanks for your help to everyone, Angela, and enjoy your special visitor. I am sure someone else will help me.
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
Record #20, March 2, 1873
Birth of Gio Batta Domenico Garibaldi in Ne, on February 28, 1873
Father: Antonio, 31 yo (son of Gio Batta and Geronima Mangiante)
Moher: Maria Catterina Raffo, 21 yo (daughter of Benedetto and Angela Solari)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
Birth of Gio Batta Domenico Garibaldi in Ne, on February 28, 1873
Father: Antonio, 31 yo (son of Gio Batta and Geronima Mangiante)
Moher: Maria Catterina Raffo, 21 yo (daughter of Benedetto and Angela Solari)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
Thank you so much for this wonderful information. Is there any easy way to determine if Antonio and Maria had other children? Also did the municipalities keep a record of who emigrated and when?
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
So glad mmogno was able to help you with this, mmenke.mmenke wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 23:41 Thanks for your help to everyone, Angela, and enjoy your special visitor. I am sure someone else will help me.
Great job, as usual, mmogno.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
mmogno wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 23:51 Record #20, March 2, 1873
Birth of Gio Batta Domenico Garibaldi in Ne, on February 28, 1873
Father: Antonio, 31 yo (son of Gio Batta and Geronima Mangiante)
Moher: Maria Catterina Raffo, 21 yo (daughter of Benedetto and Angela Solari)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
mmenke wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 01:28 Thank you so much for this wonderful information. Is there any easy way to determine if Antonio and Maria had other children? Also did the municipalities keep a record of who emigrated and when?
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
Record #14, February 28, 1875
Birth of Silvestro Giuseppe Garibaldi in Ne, on February 27, 1875
Father: Antonio, 34 yo
Moher: Maria Catterina Raffo
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
Birth of Silvestro Giuseppe Garibaldi in Ne, on February 27, 1875
Father: Antonio, 34 yo
Moher: Maria Catterina Raffo
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911355
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Giovanni Battista Garibaldi, born about 1873
I have noticed from records on Ancestry and Familysearch.org that many Garibaldis from the Ne/Zerli/Chiavari area emigrated to the US. There are also Garibaldis living there today as best I can determine. Is there any way to find out if anyone living in those towns today has done Garibaldi family genealogy. Is there a local genealogy society for that region of Italy? Thank you.
