Pontecorvo from Valmontone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
klo84
Rookie
Rookie

Pontecorvo from Valmontone

Post by klo84 »

I am seeking information regarding Luigi (Louis) Pontecorvo and Concetta (Cucchiella) Pontecorvo. Luigi and his three brother: Augustino, Savino, and Hector emigrated to the US in early 1900's. Their sister, name unknown, was a nun who emigrated to Brazil. These individuals were born in Valmontone. I am seeking their parents' names.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Pontecorvo from Valmontone

Post by suanj »

klo84 wrote:I am seeking information regarding Luigi (Louis) Pontecorvo and Concetta (Cucchiella) Pontecorvo. Luigi and his three brother: Augustino, Savino, and Hector emigrated to the US in early 1900's. Their sister, name unknown, was a nun who emigrated to Brazil. These individuals were born in Valmontone. I am seeking their parents' names.
Hi this is the ship's manifest of Concetta Cuchiella from Valmontone: contact in Italy Emilia Pontecorvo( mother or mother in law?) and joining Luigi husband
and SAVINO brother came in USA by Algeria (1891) ship the Nov 06, 1907... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi,

Is there a possibility that there was another brother, Angelo? I found this ship manifest that shows Angelo going to NY to meet his brother Savino. Father's name is Francesco.

page 1
page 2

First Name: Angelo
Last Name: Pontecorvo
Ethnicity: Italy-Ital. South
Last Place of Residence: Valmontone, Italy
Date of Arrival: Feb 08, 1912
Age at Arrival: 30y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Taormina
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0002

Could you let us know the estimated birth years for the people you mentioned?

Does this help?

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Sorry Suanj,

I posted before I saw your post. :oops: I found Savino, too but the manifest is mislinked? Or am I mistaken? This is the text info:

First Name: Savino
Last Name: Pontecorvo
Ethnicity: Italian, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Valmontone, Italy
Date of Arrival: Nov 06, 1907
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Algeria (1891)
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0009

Thanks.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Here's Concetta's death info:

Social Security Death Index Recordinfo
about Concetta Pontecorvo
Name: Concetta Pontecorvo
SSN: 106-38-3983
Last Residence: 14301 Niagara Falls, Niagara, New York, United States of America
Born: 30 Nov 1900
Died: Jun 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1963-1964 )

and Louis's:

about Louis Pontecorvo
Name: Louis Pontecorvo
SSN: 107-03-1658
Last Residence: 14301 Niagara Falls, Niagara, New York, United States of America
Born: 20 Sep 1887
Died: Aug 1971
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

and Savino's:

about Savino Pontecorvo
Name: Savino Pontecorvo
SSN: 099-16-7028
Born: 14 Apr 1889
Died: May 1966
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

which matches the records Suanj found.

klo84
Rookie
Rookie

Post by klo84 »

Thanks for this link. I have been searching for this information since the Ellis Island website became functional for Concetta. The arrival date in NY is the date my grandparents married. The question that this information has raised is...were my grandparents cousins?
Thanks also for the info on Savino...I already had that one.
klo84
klo84
Rookie
Rookie

Post by klo84 »

I never heard the name Angelo mentioned. I am attemptong to contact my aunts to find out. I will let you know. I know of only my grandfather Luigi and three great-uncles Savino, Augustino, Hector.

Also the link for Savino at Ellis Island is incorrect. The linked ship was built after to date of arrival!
klo84
klo84
Rookie
Rookie

Post by klo84 »

Date of births:
Luigi Sept 1887
Hector Jun 1882
Savino Apr 1889
Augustino(e) 1894
Sister possible name: Marcella

Their mother: Clelia ?, father ?
klo84
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Clelia sounds like a good guess for their mothers name. Looking over the census information for the brothers, two had daughters named Clelia. I see though what you mean about them possibly being cousins..
It could mean that the manifest was transcribed incorrectly and should have said mother in law or that Luigi's mother had two names...Emilia Clelia. My grandparents both went by their middle names and only recently I discovered they had another name.

I'll give you an example: My sister, first born in our family was named Caterina after my grandmother as were all my first born female cousins. But my grandmothers name was actually Domenica Caterina. The same held true for the first born males in our family. They were given my grandfathers middle name as that is the name he was known by. Don't rule anything out.

I think the only way to find out for sure is to order the films from the FHC of your family. There's a great article by Trish on how to do this.

Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center

Have a look!

Hope this helps!

klo84
Rookie
Rookie

Post by klo84 »

After I had posted my initial request, I checked my family file. Per my aunt, her maternal grandmother's first name was Emilia (my eldest aunt's first name), and her paternal grandmother's first name was Clelia (my second eldest aunt's name).

My eldest female cousin is supposedly name after our grandfather's sister...the nun ~ Marcella

No one knows the "fathers'" names. My grandparents never spoke of their life in Italy. They died when I was very young. :wink:
klo84
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
klo84
Rookie
Rookie

Post by klo84 »

Suanj,

Looks like a match. His brother emigrated in 1906 and lived in Niagara Falls.
I checked with my aunt regarding a possible brother: "Angelo"
She does not remember her father and uncles talking about an Angelo. Will keep researching.
Thanks for all the great leads. :D
klo84
klo84
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Klo, now you know the mother surname almost, is great... if we find the Ettore ship's manifest perhaps are wrote the father name.. but in this 2 ship's manifest, always and only the mother mentioned so is very possible that in 1913 the father was died.. for this cause is better to find Ettore manifest, perhaps we will know the father name finally.. suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
klo84
Rookie
Rookie

Post by klo84 »

Per 1930 Census, Hector (Ettore) immigrated in 1906. His wife, Frances Canastra immigrated in 1910.
klo84
klo84
Rookie
Rookie

Post by klo84 »

Through Ancestry.com I have finally been able to see Savino's ship manifest. The link through Ellisisland.org is incorrect. The manifest clearly indicates that his father's name was Francesco. This is the same name listed on "Angelo's" manifest. Apparrently, my grandfather and great-uncles had a brother that no one knows about! I am still unable to find "Ettore Pontecorvo", also known as Hector Pontecorvo, manifest. I would appreciate any assistance in finding this manifest. He was the first to emmigrate to the US in 1906. I am hoping that this manifest will confirm his father's name.

I also cannot locate Hector and family on the 1930 Census. Not sure if they were still in New York or had already moved to California by that time.

I hope someone can help me.
Thank you. :!:
klo84