Jure Sanguinis laws changing 2018

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jrd01

Jure Sanguinis laws changing 2018

Post by jrd01 »

Hello, I'm in a facebook group for Italian Dual Citizenship help and the admins stated the government is proposing new law changes to Jure Sanguinis for next week. Should I or anyone be worried about this going forward? What can it entail?
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Jure Sanguinis laws changing 2018

Post by jennabet »

I have been living in Italy for a number of years and I haven't heard anything about it. If the admins of that group are liberal New Yorkers perhaps unhappy with the result of the March 4 Italian election, I would be particularly skeptical about most of the things they post regarding Italian citizenship. In addition they are some of the meanest, nastiest, barely qualified for citizenship people out there and have been monopolizing Italian citizenship forums for years with their mis-information. Take it with a grain of salt.
jrd01

Post by jrd01 »

Here is the proposed draft through Italian officials: http://www.adnkronos.com/r/Pub/AdnKrono ... granti.pdf
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

jrd01 wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 03:20 Here is the proposed draft through Italian officials: http://www.adnkronos.com/r/Pub/AdnKrono ... granti.pdf
The above is related to "residency permit", not citizenship.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

liviomoreno wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 08:39
jrd01 wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 03:20 Here is the proposed draft through Italian officials: http://www.adnkronos.com/r/Pub/AdnKrono ... granti.pdf
The above is related to "residency permit", not citizenship.
No Livio, il Capo III riguarda la cittadinanza.
Mi pare che risolverebbe il problema delle nascite pre-1948 e porterebbe da 2 a 4 anni il periodo entro il quale deve essere risolta la pratica di richiesta della cittadinanza.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Grazie mmogno, non avevo letto tutto il testo
jrd01

Post by jrd01 »

Wouldn’t this technically be unconstitutional to effect people that were born before 2018 trying to go through great grandparents and further for Jure Sanguinis?
jrd01

Post by jrd01 »

People are saying this law is to curve the issue with Brazil using this method to flee to Italy (over 500,000 applications currently) and some have been falsifying family trees.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

jrd01 wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 17:49 People are saying this law is to curve the issue with Brazil using this method to flee to Italy (over 500,000 applications currently) and some have been falsifying family trees.
But of course. Blame it on the Italians from Brazil. Let me guess who is still perpetrating these lies and exaggerations? Americans using the New York consulate because their own applications are more thoroughly scrutinized and for very good reason? In fact, Brazilians who speak a Latin language (Portuguese) and are familiar with Latin culture do far better in Italy than do New Yorkers who don't understand a word of Italian and are so mixed up in the melting pot, they may barely qualify for Italian citizenship. Robert De Niro is a good example of this. He has one Italian grand-father and the rest of his ancestors are Irish. Also, please remember, nobody forced the Italian mothers of the 1948 cases clogging up the Italian court system to marry non Italians when there were plenty of Italian men in the diaspora to choose from.
jrd01

Post by jrd01 »

At the end of the day, this law proposal will limit the Jure Sanguinis from going any further back than your grandparents. For us that are for JS, it's important for our voice to be heard by both parties. Reach out to other groups if possible to notify them.

Our only hope is we can remove the JS portion of this proposal.

They have been very quiet with the creation of this draft proposal.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Matteo Salvini who's name is on the draft has said he wants an Italy where Italians come first. Limiting the JS law to descent from grand-parents only is a good way to ensure Italy doesn't give it's precious citizenship to people who are far removed from the Italian culture, language, traditions, etc. It would also not be a good thing for people who are barely Italian to have a say in Italian elections that affect mostly the Italian citizens living in Italy. I am 100% in favor of the changes proposed as are, no doubt, most of the Italian citizens who voted for this new government which seems to enjoy applying common sense.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Here's a short video from the Senator Ricardo Merlo talking about this today.
He says that he talked to Salvini and they completely discarded the limitation of Ius Sanguinis.

http://www.italiachiamaitalia.it/la-vit ... nis-video/
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Thank you for keeping us updated, mmogno.
tantrum

Post by tantrum »

I am not sure if the jure sanguinis changes will be in the proposed new laws, but here is a document I found on the changes related to citizenship.

https://www.cittadinanza.biz/wp-content ... orma-1.pdf

The changes listed there to article 17 seems to indicate the limitation to grandparents.

I am interested in knowing if the wording implies whether the previous loss of citizenship due to naturalisation still affects eligibility. My wife's father was born Italian, but lost it by naturalising elsewhere before she was born, then he became Italian again after she was 18. She has been unable to apply due to this (while yes, someone who can establish the chain back to someone from 1880 can!), so I am watching potential developments carefully.

I am not sure where to find exactly what changes are going up for consideration, despite what Senator Merlo claimed.

(Note also they propose to allow themselves 4 years to process naturalisations and marriage applications, instead of 2. The discrimination against women pre-1948, which some here would know about, is also proposed to be removed. I don't know much about that though, as it doesn't affect my family's eligibility.)