RE: CIVIL RECORDS FOR COSENZA PROVINCE

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

RE: CIVIL RECORDS FOR COSENZA PROVINCE

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

very odd. neither lds nor www.antenati@beniculturali.it have the civil records for consenza province in calabria. wonder why that is?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: RE: CIVIL RECORDS FOR COSENZA PROVINCE

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are possibly meaning the province of Cosenza. There are some on Family Search, depending on what town you may be looking for. Take a look here and scroll down:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/col ... %3A1927178

Angela
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thats what i mean. all the comunes in the province of cosenza. the link you sent only names a few. but if you hit search at lds for filmed records theres nothing. same for the registries at www.antenati@beniculturali.it. for example,i'm looking for the frazioni of lauropoli. i'm surprised that most,if not all of the comunes of that province, aren't available.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mezzogiorno62 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 05:34 thats what i mean. all the comunes in the province of cosenza. the link you sent only names a few. but if you hit search at lds for filmed records theres nothing. same for the registries at www.antenati@beniculturali.it. for example,i'm looking for the frazioni of lauropoli. i'm surprised that most,if not all of the comunes of that province, aren't available.
The village of Lauropoli, belongs to the municipality of Cassano all'Ionio:
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=lauro ... e&ie=UTF-8

So, hopefully you will find what you are needing here:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... %3D2043557

Angela
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i just noticed that.but theres no mention of lauropoli in the records as a frazione of cassano all'lonio. unless i see lauropoli separate from cassano all'lonio.example: i'm looking for a birth in january 1891. i'm at the entry for that year but theres no mention of lauropoli. just cassano all"lonio.lauropoli should be under a separate listing i would imagine. otherwise how will someone be able to find it separately from cassano all"lonio?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You will find the records from Lauropoli with the second link that I have provided here. If there isn't an index, you just have to keep clicking on the next image. I know it can be a slow process, but sometimes you spot other people in your history along the way, which can be a nice surprise. Like all things in life, you just have to make the best of every situation....

All the best with that.

Angela
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thats what i've done angela. i clicked the link which brings me to cosenza via castrovillari then to the comunes. i clicked on cassana all'lonio. then clicked on the entries for 1888-1907 which would cover 1891. i found that year with no problem. the problem is theres no way i can see to find a separation of lauropoli from cassano all'lonio. it would make sense if entries for lauropoli were simply entered under cassano,but that doesn't appear to be the case. are the 2 combined as one? other than searching through thousands of images i see no way to break it down. i'm a pretty good researcher but sometimes it gets to be a bit much without some research aids. thanks for your help.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

No they won't be separate because the people living in the little village of Lauropoli would have registered the births etc in the comune of Cassana. I had a quick whizz through in the hope that there would be an index but there isn't. I clicked on a couple of records on the way, and the first one just happened to be for a child born in Lauropoli, and then I found another one, just now, so they are definitely there. Who are you looking for exactly. I'll work backwards for the next 30 minutes and see what I can find. You work from the beginning. (Many hands make light work. :) )

Here is an example of a person born in Lauropoli, during 1891, No 79: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043557

Angela
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

what i have: francesco castiglia of luigi and maria jan.26,1891.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

He certainly isn't there in January 1891. I found the following: https://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/reco ... a_59542463

Is this your Francesco Castiglia? It gives the year as 1890, so maybe there was an error somewhere. I can't see that the records for 1890 are on line though. They jump from 1889 to 1891. If this is your Francesco Castiglia, try sending a message to the poster at Ancestry.

All the best.

Angela
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

it appears to be him. this francesco castiglia became frank costello,a mafia figure. i'm reading a book on his life,and according to the information in the book,he was born in laurapoli on jan.26,1891. no idea where the ancestry date came from,but it may be correct as his birth record isn't found in 1891 and theres no way to verify 1890. dates of birth for those born in italy or other countries often differed from the births given here in the usa. just testing my research skills. thanks again
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Happy to help. It's possible that it was a typo in the book and the proof reader didn't pick up on it. (So there are no "References" then at the back of the book?) I've done a quick search on him on line and most of the articles on him quote 1891 as well.

For anyone who is interested here is a quick read about Francesco Castigilia aka Frank Costello, Mobster:

Francesco Castiglia aka Frank Costello: https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profile ... o-9006.php

Angela
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i've found that the date is usually accurate but the year isn't. the birthplace is usually accurate as well.since theres no 1890 for whatever reason,maybe it was 1889 or 1892. usually the year of birth isn't off more than a year or two either way.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Even in a Biography? I find that odd. I shall ponder that one. :?

Angela :)
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

even biographers only have so much information to work with. the author probably took the information that seemed most accurate. he didn't have access to the original birth record any more than we have. and the birthdate given is supposed from the original. who knows?