Muscatello from Molochio – 2nd look at document

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LaCroce81

Muscatello from Molochio – 2nd look at document

Post by LaCroce81 » 06 Jan 2019, 04:22

Hi

I am looking for help regarding Bruno Muscatello and why he went from living in Molochio Calabria to dying in prison in Castellammare di Stabia in 1826 aged 32

His surname is listed as Moscatiello in the Castellammare record but has the same information as this Molochio record but I’m wondering if I’ve missed some crucial information on it.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

His youngest child was born in 1818 but he’s still listed as living in Molochio in 1822 when another child of his died, I haven’t found anything else relating to him between 1818 and 1826.

From what I can tell, living ‘nel bagno di servi di pena’ means he was imprisoned either in a box (‘penal bath’) along the shore line or in a ship docked in the harbour (‘bagno’) condemned to hard labour. I’m interested in how this came about and intrigued by the distance he ended up from Molochio, was that the closest prison or was it special circumstances?

Is there any way of finding court documents relating to this? I haven’t been able to find anything online but my Italian isn’t that good so I have may have missed something. I have had no luck with requesting information from Molochio in the past so am reluctant to try but maybe Naples would have it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

David