Naturalization Paperwork

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mkaykrista
Veteran
Veteran

Naturalization Paperwork

Post by mkaykrista »

Hello, I'm posting to have some help locating my great-great grandfather's naturalization paperwork. I have a document from the U.S. Naturalization Record Index that I've transcribed below, but I'm looking for the declaration, or anything that will list more specifics about his immigration and family.

Casagrande, Joseph
Certificate #1363587
25 First Avenue, Seymour, Connecticut
BORN: November 13, 1880 - Mocònesi, Italy

Naturalized - - - September 30, 1920
United Stated District, New Haven, Conn.
Vol. 20 Page 57
Petition No. 3307

Also, if a foreign person has naturalized, does that automatically mean they have a SSN? I'm having trouble confirming his mother's last name (Italian birth record says one thing, family history says another) and am hoping if he had a SSN, ordering it would confirm her last name.

**I also posted this on the Emigration/Immigration thread, but it wasn't getting any traction. Apologies if double-posting is frowned upon.
Researching Italian Relatives : Gargano, Amabile, Tamburrini, Tucci, Casagrande & Musante - the more research done the more the list grows!
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Paperwork

Post by Biff83 »

The Social Security Act wasn't signed into law until 1935 so your gg grandfather would not have had an SSN when he naturalized. If he continued working at the time the Social Security act was passed, it's likely he applied for an SSN or if he worked for the railroad a Railroad Retirement number.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1905 ship manifest, line 25
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1880 birth act and 1902 marriage act both show his mother as Antonia Soladite. These primary documents confirm her name.

Birth act--presented in the town hall on 13 Nov but born on 9 Nov
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=2387553

Marriage act:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=2387553

Biff
mkaykrista
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mkaykrista »

Thanks Biff. I guess I will need to look further into if he had a SSN.

I don't know the exact year Antonia was born, but her son Giuseppe Francesco Casagrande was born in 1880, so these records must be for another Antonia.

Antonia's husband was Francesco Casagrande (b.1828). I believe all were born/lived in Mocónesi, Italy.
Researching Italian Relatives : Gargano, Amabile, Tamburrini, Tucci, Casagrande & Musante - the more research done the more the list grows!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Even if you locate his SS application his mother's name on the document would not be as conclusive as his original birth and marriage acts.

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

The 1880 birth act above for Giuseppe Fortunato shows the father Francesco's age as 52 so his dob would be about 1828.

Biff