Need guidance with research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
delfgill
Elite
Elite

Need guidance with research

Post by delfgill »

Hi everyone,

I haven't had any luck finding records for my paternal side of the family. I have a list of names going back 4 generations but can't find records to match parents with children, or spouses to each other. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks!
mkaykrista
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Need guidance with research

Post by mkaykrista »

Hello! Can you provide us with the names of your relatives, dates of birth/death and town/village of birth?

Also, what resources do you use for your research? Great websites that have Italian documents are FamilySearch.org and Antenati.org. If you know the town/village of your relative's birth, you can browse through the years' records around the timeframe pertaining to your relative. It can be time consuming, but from experience is also very rewarding.
Researching Italian Relatives : Gargano, Amabile, Tamburrini, Tucci, Casagrande & Musante - the more research done the more the list grows!
delfgill
Elite
Elite

Post by delfgill »

Hi mkaykrista,

Yes, I enjoy the research and have spent many months looking through thousands of images. Not sure why I'm having such a hard time.

Here’s what I know for Ricca/Cappelli from Palizzi (RC):

-Pietro Ricca [~1816] married Giustina and had 4 children:
Anna Maria (married a Gioia)
Fulvia
Carlotta (married Lucio Cappelli (not sure if he is related to the Cappelli below))
-Vincenzo Ricca [born ~1841] married Angela Battintiero (of Brazil; not sure if they married in Brazil or Italy) and had 4 children:
Carlo
Battista
Giustina
-Francesca Ricca [born ~1865] married a Cappelli. One known child:
-Biagio Cappelli [born ~1891] married Caterina Falcone (Caterina died young; not sure if Biagio remarried). Two known children:
Ines
Maria Cappelli [1916] married Pasquale Delfino of Bova Marina

I know nothing about my Delfino family from Bova Marina.

Thank you!!
mkaykrista
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mkaykrista »

Thanks - how are your main bullet point Ricca/Cappelli's related? Pietro, Vincenzo, Francesca, Biagio and Maria?
Researching Italian Relatives : Gargano, Amabile, Tamburrini, Tucci, Casagrande & Musante - the more research done the more the list grows!
delfgill
Elite
Elite

Post by delfgill »

Pietro is the father of the 4 children listed under his name.

Vincenzo is Pietro's son. He married Angela. They had the 4 children listed under their names.

Francesca is Vincenzo's daugher. She married a Cappelli. They had 1 child that we know of: Biagio

Biagio married Caterina and they had 2 daughters: Ines and Maria

Maria is Biagio's daughter. She married Pasquale Delfino around ~1940

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my previous post. Thanks again!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

May I ask what source/document(s) you used to establish that their town of origin was Palizzi RC?

T.
mkaykrista
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mkaykrista »

Thanks - I started looking through Palizzi documents and haven't found anything yet. Ditto'ing what Tessa is asking, do you have documentation they are from Palizzi?
delfgill
Elite
Elite

Post by delfgill »

Family has always talked about Palizzi being the place the Cappelli family originated from. I have no documents verifying same.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Did this family always reside in Italy? Did they emigrate? To where?

Perhaps we can work backward to discover the town of origin...

T.
mkaykrista
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mkaykrista »

Do you know which of your relatives (if any) immigrated to the US? Finding immigration or naturalization documents may verify the region they are from.
delfgill
Elite
Elite

Post by delfgill »

My father is the only one we know of. If I remember correctly, his papers listed Potenza which is where he lived shortly before coming to the US. I will double check his paperwork and let you know.
delfgill
Elite
Elite

Post by delfgill »

Yes, the Cappelli and Delfino families always resided in Italy.
mkaykrista
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mkaykrista »

Does his paperwork list any specifics about where he was from in Italy? There are eons of papers for each area of Italy, so if we can be positive they are from a specific region it will make the search a bit easier.
delfgill
Elite
Elite

Post by delfgill »

My family was military so they moved quite a bit. I've asked several uncles for clarification but have yet to hear back. An educated guess from reviewing the documents I have would be that marriage took place in or around Naples.