Family from Montemileto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Family from Montemileto

Post by jcsm400 »

Sorry John....that info not part of index. Would need to order the record.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

jj_nycguy wrote:Hi jcsm400.

I'm looking to find the sibiling of Ciriaco, Michele & Antonio Riccio from Montemiletto, AV. It appears that Nuccia may have found some/all of them. I am hoping that someone can confirm that the Riccio's, identified above, are from the same family (and identify the connection).

Any information you can provide would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Hi John,

This is just some advice that you can take or not.

I suggest that you order the films from your LDS-Family History Center (see page 1) and then you can trace Tommaso Riccio's family & Maria Di Franco's family + get all their childen information (some may not have immigrated to the USA).

Also, email the comune (address provided page 1) & request marriage act for Ciriaco Riccio & Maria Rosa Coletta (Colella).

It's great that there are others willing to help, even one in the town of origin, but nothing beats doing your own research!

jcsm :)
jj_nycguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jj_nycguy »

Hi jcsm.

I was planning to go to a FHC in the next month or so. I believe that there is an FHC about 35 minutes away. I wanted to see if there is anything that the people, on this site, could provide in addition to what I've already found, myself. I'd like to have as much information as possible before going there.

Nuccia has done a great job in clarifying the information on the census and Ellis Island records. I have had a difficult time trying to decifer some of the handwriting.

I've already mailed letters to comune of Montemiletto in hopes that I will receive information. From what I read, it can take up to several months before I receive a response. I was also going to write to the local Montemiletto parish but I was not sure who I should address the letters to.

John
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi John,

I'm glad you are planning on checking the LDS films. It's amazing how many additional records you can find through other lines of the family.

What records have you & Nuccia found so far on this family? What are you still looking for?

Could you do a ecap of thread to catch me up? Nuccia emailed me & said she's going to busy for awhile & may not get the chance to check the forum.

Thanks,
jcsm
jj_nycguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jj_nycguy »

Hi jcsm.

I have been able to identify Ciriaco, Angelo Michele & Antonio Riccio along with Maria Rosa Colella.

Nuccia believes that there may be a connection to Angiolina, Giuseppe, Giovanna & Pasquale Riccio. She found their Ellis Island records but they traveled to Hoboken, NJ instead of Queens, NY. Since there were very few Riccio's who lived in Montemiletto, there's a good chance they are related.

BTW, my family surnames (the ones that I'm focusing on) are as follows: Riccio, Colella and Di Fronzo. I also have Tortora and DeLuca in the family, but I haven't really focused on them. I believe they were from Palermo, Sicily.

Currently, my objective is to determine all of Ciriaco Riccio's and Maria Rosa Colella's siblings, through online services before going to the FHC.

I've received an email from Gaetano, who currently lives in Montemiletto, and he stated he may have found the marriage certificate for Ciriaco & Rosa. He said, when he is able, he'll email me the information on the certificate.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
John
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi John,

I don't know of any online source that can give you that information. You will have to find any connection through researching the films.

Films take 4 to 6 weeks to come into your local LDS from SLC, Utah, so you may want to order while still obtaining US information.

jcsm
jj_nycguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jj_nycguy »

After lots of additional research, I was wondering if anyone can help me regarding a newly found surname.

My g-grandmother was Maria Rosa Colella (4/1882-12/1926), married to Ciriaco Riccio. Rosa's parents names were Ciriaco Colella and Pasqualina (aka Lena) Capone. It is my understanding that all of the these family members resided in Montemiletto. Only Rosa and Ciriaco immigrated to NY, USA.

Does anyone have any information on the Capone family of Montemiletto, AV?

Thanks,
John
Italgreco

Post by Italgreco »

Hi,
I stumbled accross this interesting site, and whilst I am still exploring it and I'm sure I will find many interesting things.
I'm aware that Italian immigration to the USA was early, now sitting at almost a century ago.
I'm in London, England. Immigration from Italy was much later. Circa 1958 - 1961 ... after 1961, came the so called ' boom ' and immigration became a lot less.
I am 1 1st generation Brit. My parents now live partly in London and the rest of their time in Avellino, as they are retired.
I visit often and CAPONE is my mothers name. It is a VERY common surname in Montemiletto as is Ciriaco, the patron Saint for a Christian name.
Something else that many of you are aware of I'm sure, is that Italian women do not take their husbands' surname, although the woman may well be a Capone since inter marriage was common.
I have a lot of family still in Montemiletto, but even way back, as family members married, many moved to other parts of Avellino.
There are many Avellinese in the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland and Belgium.

I am aware that my grandmother, who is not from Montemiletto, had family in New York. My grand mother was Acernese.

I can tell you that the telephone directory in Avellino has many CAPONE's, even more difficult is the fact that typical southern Italian Christian names like Carmella, Mario, Gaetano, Antonietta, Iolanda, Nunzio, Pasquale, Concetta etc are common so there will be many many CAPONE Gaetano's etc.

Since I have some interest in finding a ' wider family tree ', I will start some research myself by asking some elders in Montemiletto names of family members and see how far I can trace back - since my parents are there, they have more time to drink coffee and chat about the ' old times '.
They live in Cesinali/Atriplada borders.

I'll add to this if and when I find more information and will also keep an eye to see what else is added to the forum.

Paolo
jj_nycguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jj_nycguy »

Hello all. First, thank you for all of the help that everyone has provided over the past few months. My research would not have been as successful as it has been, without this group.

I have one question... after numerous hours of research, I have finally obtained the birth certificates and marriage note for my g-grandparents.

Could someone let me know if they have a letter, already written in Italian, to request death certificates? I am assuming that I would send the letters to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile di Montemiletto, Avellino.

Thanks in advance.

John
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Funny you should ask...I just "emailed one out" about 10 minutes ago! But I would mail yours..I just tried the email because I haven't been successful lately in my requests so I had nothing to lose...but I'm sure you'll have better luck.

You can use this site to help you write your letter..fairly straightforward and simple to use..

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Good luck..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jj_nycguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jj_nycguy »

Hi Everyone.

I received information back from Montemiletto, AV regarding my family tree. I have uncovered the following names. Does anyone have information related to them or would like to share what I have?

1. Gaetano Riccio
- Father to Ciriaco, Antonio, Angelo Michele & Angiolina. Pasquale &
Giuseppe could also be siblings.
- Born May 12, 1852 in Montemiletto, AV (ITALY).
- Immigrated to Boston, MA USA in 1899.
- In 1899, he died tragically in a railway accident in Boston, MA.
- His body was buried in Holy Cross Cemetery, Malden MA.
- Gaetano's parents were Pasquale Riccio (b. 1796) & Maria Michela
del Nonni (b. 1816).

2. Marie di Fronzo
- Mother to Ciriaco, Antonio, Angelo Michele & Angiolina. Pasquale &
Giuseppe could also be siblings.
- Born September 26, 1858 in Montemiletto, AV (ITALY).
- Never came to America.
- Marie's parents were Ciriaco di Fronzo (b. 1822) & Angela Ragno
(b. 1827).

Thanks,
John
SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SynThea »

Hi, John:

Was referred to your posts on this subject by my Cousin Carmela, whom I met through this Forum.

She is THE expert on Torre le Nocelle, adjacent to Montemiletto, and we have many generations of ancestors in common which we have taken delight in sharing past couple of years.

I have also have many Montemiletto people, including Riccios, Di Fronzos and Ragnos, although I have not as yet identified any of the names you cited. My earliest Ragno is Nicola, abt 1720-1810. Most recent is my GG Luigi Ragno, 1868-1922.

Am certain we are connected, and would welcome further discussion.

Did you know "Ragno" means "spider" in Italian?

I plan to spend some time today reviewing my files to see if there's a link I'm missing. Will check back if I find anything useful.

Good luck in your searches. You meet the most incredible people here!

Sincerely,

Carole
(aka SynThea)
SynThea
Massachusetts
USA
jj_nycguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jj_nycguy »

Hi Carole.

I left you a PM regarding your response.

Do you have any of your family tree information available for me to review? I'd love to see if we have a connection. I believe several of the Colella's immigrated from Montemiletto to Boston, MA. Only my GG Maria Rosa Colella came to Queens, NY.

Please, let me know if you are interested and I can provide my genealogy website, which goes back to the late 1700s. It is a basic tree, with comments and pictures.

Any information you, or anyone else, can provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
John
SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SynThea »

"Cousin" John:

Already sent a pm with some preliminary data. Would love to view your website.

Many of my Capone/Colella connections came to the Boston area, but untangling them over the generations has become quite a challenge. Currently, all my - pardon the expression - dead ends are Capones, Colellas, or Capones who married Colellas.

I'm pretty sure we're gonna connect up some Ragnos, though.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Carole
SynThea
Massachusetts
USA
mole

Post by mole »

I have Frongillo, Colella, Capone and Ragno in my family tree. The Bil Fragnillo mentioned in a post is actually my g-grandfather Basilio Frangillo who was in NJ. Giovanna was his sister.

I'm just getting familiar with this site but I see a number of connections from Montemiletto. I have the tapes from the Montemiletto on permanent loan from LDS trying to figure things out. I'm most willing to share information.
Kathy