Balducci / Soldano marriage and birth records help.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jamesf

Balducci / Soldano marriage and birth records help.

Post by jamesf »

I have hit a roadblock looking for a few things and would appreciate some help. I have spent many hours looking, received some great help here, and have had some success. But I have hit a roadblock or two.

1 - My Maternal Grandmothers Birth Record,
Vincenza Balducci

Her Name: Vincenza Balducci DiFulvio - Scavo
Spouse: Olinda DiFulvio
Father: Domenico (Frank) Balducci
Mother: Maria Soldano
Children: Clementina (Clara), (My Mother) Nicola, (Nick) Balducci
Birth: 8 Jul 1909 ? Corato, Bari, Puglia, Italy
Death: 3 Mar 1985 Alameda, Alameda, California, USA
Residence: Bari, Puglia

She Immigrated on Jan 11 1920 at 10yrs. with her Mother Maria and Brother Nicola (Uncle Nick to us).
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... 4252/facts

She was married twice.
First to Olindo DiFulvo, then to Michele Scavo
I found Olindo DiFulvio’s Birth record.
I cannot find Michele Scavo’s birth record. I do not know where he came from in Italy.

2 - I also cannot find Vincenza Balducci’s parents (My Maternal Great Grandparents’) Marriage Records.
Maria Soldano
Domenico Balducci

I have found Maria’s Birth record in Corato.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... d=41490945

A question I have is, What happened to my Great Grandfather Frank Domenico Balducci? Did he immigrate earlier? Later?

I believe all lived in Corato.

Thank you VERY much for any assistance.
James
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Balducci / Soldano marriage and birth records help.

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the marriage of Francesco Balducci and Maria Soldano in 1908 in Corato, Bari.
Francesco is 23, farmer, born in Corato, Son of Giuseppe Nicola , and of Vincenza Turillo.
Maria is age 18, housewife, daughter of Domenici, and of Anna Colasuonno(?)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043450

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Maria Soldano's mother's surname - based on Arrival manifest you posted... Calasansia.

The correct spelling, I believe, is Calasanzio which is found in Bari Province.

T.
jamesf

Post by jamesf »

AHH Thank you, Thank you!. Tessa! My gratitude...

The Marriage Record, Do I read it correctly to say 29 January?

What of Vincenza Balducci? Her Daughter? I have had no luck finding a birth around 1909 in Corato/Bari for her. A few much earlier in the 1880s and 1890's. Great Aunts and Uncles possibly (whom i'll research later...) but not hers..Can you steer me down a better path? I have been searching familysearch.org using even very broad queries such as "Balducci" + 1905 -1910...

--
James
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jamesf wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 20:14 AHH Thank you, Thank you!. Tessa! My gratitude...

The Marriage Record, Do I read it correctly to say 29 January? Yes, 29 January at 6 PM at the town office in Corato.

What of Vincenza Balducci? Her Daughter? I have had no luck finding a birth around 1909 in Corato/Bari for her. A few much earlier in the 1880s and 1890's. Great Aunts and Uncles possibly (whom i'll research later...) but not hers..Can you steer me down a better path? I have been searching familysearch.org using even very broad queries such as "Balducci" + 1905 -1910...

I have also searched for Vincenza's birth act from 1907-1910 without success. I will continue to look, BUT I suspect that Vincenza was actually born in 1911...

On familysearch these records cannot be accessed from the database search. You must use the "catalog" and search for the town. The records are all in Italian, so you look for the births (nati) and the year. Sometimes there is an index at the beginning or the end of the book for that year...and sometimes not :-(

--
James

EDIT TO ADD***
I decided to revisit the records I searched...

I have found a birth act for a Vincenza Balducci in 1908
#669 in 1908 in Corato.
There is a discrepancy with the father's given name and his age.
I am posting the link just in case it is the correct one.

Birth on 16 March 1908
Father is listed as Antonio Balducci, son of Giuseppe Nicola Balducci. He is age 30 and a farmer
Mother is listed as Maria Felicia Soldano, daughter of Domenico, housewife, his wife residing with him
Child was given the name Vincenza

As you can see the names of the grandfather's are correct (based on the marriage record above)

T.
jamesf

Post by jamesf »

Thank you very much for the extra effort Tessa.

This birth record does make sense in one way. The Father's middle name is Nicola. The second - next - born (as far as I know) was her son Nick. my Great Uncle Nick. (Nicola).

But here a puzzle appears.We have the Marriage record for Maria Soldano in January 1908 to Francesco Balducci. Less than two months later she gives birth. If this is the correct birth record for Vincenza. It certainly seems to be..

I do have other unusual, somewhat tragic and dramatic circumstances in my family history, in both Italy/Sicily and even in the USA that we are aware of and that I discovered in my recent research here. This would not surprise me if that is what happened.

I don't know what the cultural sensibilities were in 19th century Italy. Was it unusual and a very controversial act in a small town such as Corato to have an unwed expectant mother get married so late in her pregnancy

I will continue to search as you suggested. I have noticed that these Corato records do not have indexes like the records I have been searching in Sicily around the same time period. It does make it more difficult.
Thank you again!
Good evening
JAMES
EDIT **[
Tessa, Could if be that this is the Father and it was not her Husband? But the brother or cousin of her husband?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I would say that it is more likely a clerical error in the record regarding the given name of the father. Errors are also made in ages.

It was not as unusual as you would think to have the child born so short a time after a civil marriage. It is POSSIBLE that they were married in the church at an earlier date. However, I have come across and translated many marriage records where the couple wishes to "recognize" (declare legitimate) their chidren born before the marriage.

I would find it very hard to believe that a married woman would openly declare that her child is not her husband's but a relative of his.... so NO, I do not think this was a brother, cousin, etc. When a married woman gave birth to another man's child, if the man declared the child as his to the official, the woman would usually not be named in the record.

As I mentioned earlier - the fathers of the parents of Vincenza are the same fathers identified in the marriage act - Giuseppe Nicola Balducci and Domenico Soldano :-)

T.
jamesf

Post by jamesf »

:-)
Thank you for your insight! I trust you are right.
I wonder what the reason for the delay in getting married was?

I will use the record and assume a clerical error.
Many thanks.
--
James
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jamesf wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 03:24 :-)
Thank you for your insight! I trust you are right.
I wonder what the reason for the delay in getting married was?

I will use the record and assume a clerical error.
Many thanks.
--
James
Happy to help.

Perhaps some day you will be able to get a copy of the baptism for Vincenza. Then perhaps the mystery will be solved. :-)
OR... we will find another Vincenza birth act with the correct information!

I have continued to search, and I am still of the thought that YOUR Vincenza was born in 1911. and the records online are only available through 1910.

Here is the marriage allegati (attachments) for the marriage of Francesco Balducci and Maria Soldano.

You can write directly to the Comune of Corato to request the birth act.
Let me know if you are interested and I will give you some guidance with letter and address.

T.
jamesf

Post by jamesf »

Thank you Very much, Tessa.
Yes please help me with how to contact them and an example of what to send them if you can be so kind.
James
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You should write your letter of request in Italian (help below) and include YOUR photo ID and an email address at which you can be contacted. Send no money with your letter. They may contact you for fees for copying and mailing OR they may email you the document.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Marconi 1
70033 Corato (BA)
ITALY

Helpful links
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... tter3.html
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... talrecords

Here is the email of the town and a letter of inquiry if you do not receive a response.
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... o.response

Email
info@comune.corato.ba.it

Good Luck!
T.
jamesf

Post by jamesf »

Thank you. I will do so and update here with any info I find.

--
James