translation assistance.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Barbarossa
Veteran
Veteran

translation assistance.

Post by Barbarossa »

Having difficulty with this record and context, for the death account of Pasquale Sergnese of Castropignano

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 5.jpg.html

Can someone help put some perspective on this. The handwriting is proving difficult for me and making it harder to comprehend.

Thanks
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: translation assistance.

Post by PippoM »

Record is dated Feb 6th, 1898, when the declaration was taken to the Town Offices.
It was really the translation of the declaration of Edward Wirth, Coroner of ?, who declared that Pasquale Sergnese died suddenly, and there his death was not caused by some other person.
As it was not known if he had left dispositions about what was to be done after his death, and as he had no relatives nor friends there, the Coroner let his body be buried. The document is dated Aug 23rd, 1897.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Barbarossa
Veteran
Veteran

Re: translation assistance.

Post by Barbarossa »

Thanks Pippo!
You quelled my delusions I was reading english words like 'coroner' and very anglo names like Edward Wirth?

After some googling, I think I can conclude he died in New York state.
The death record mentions New York twice in it and the official Louis B Bellarosa. Googling Ed Wirth didn't prove any definitive help (coroner in Maine came up) but the Bellarosa name pointed to an official from Manhattan New York, in New York city directories, and the mention of a Mulberry (St).

The later proved this find:
__
Mulberry Street
Thoroughfare in New York City, New York
Mulberry Street is a principal thoroughfare in Manhattan in New York City. It is historically associated with Italian-American culture and history, and in the late 19th and early 20th centuries was the heart of Manhattan's Little Italy. The street was listed on maps of the area since at least 1755. Wikipedia
__

So it seems Pasquale travelled at some point into the US and passed somewhere in NY county then. His wife (Palmarina Santarella latter remarried Biase Borsella in 1900 and they had a child in 1901 named Pasquale).

With your help, I think that is the best conclusion that can be made.