Availability of Palermo "Citta" records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rfiorille
Rookie
Rookie

Availability of Palermo "Citta" records

Post by rfiorille » 13 Sep 2019, 23:30

Hello Forum!

I'm doing some research of a family that came from the city of Palermo and trying to get a better understanding of the records that are available. It appears on the antenati website that there are 17 "sezioni" in the Archivio di Stato di Palermo that have links to actual records. For example, there is Palermo (Sezione Molo)(oggi Palermo) and Palermo (Sezione Sant'Oliva)(oggi Palermo). And then there is a link to just Palermo that contains only "indici decennali". The entries in the indices provide the names of the sezione where the event occurred and then sometimes they just say "Citta". Am I understanding correctly that Citta records are only available as an entry in the index and that there is no corresponding record available online? I have found corresponding records from the index when they list an event that occurred in one of the available sezioni.

I hope this is clear. I appreciate anyone helping me further understand these records better. Thank you!

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Availability of Palermo "Citta" records

Post by adelfio » 14 Sep 2019, 14:55

You have to write for record info Hugh Torabene has them indices for you with most of the names here is the address you need give all the info you need location and name date and volume number and record number.

Città metropolit. Palermo (PA)
Comune di Palermo
Piazza Pretoria 1
90132 Palermo (PA)
Italy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

rfiorille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rfiorille » 15 Sep 2019, 14:15

Thank you Marty.

I just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly. You say that Hugh Torabene has indices. However, I don't need the indices because I am able to find the birth info in an index online. I'm looking for the actual records. I was looking for Giuseppa Antrosiglo born in 1864 in Palermo. I found the index for her birth record. Along with her entry in the index was a sister of hers by the same name born in 1856, but born in Molo sezione of Palermo. My Giuseppa born 1864 is listed born in Citta. Here is the page with the entries in the index:

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 1.jpg.html

I'm able to find the birth record for Giuseppa born in 1856 because I know to search the records in the Molo sezione found on the antenati website. The birth record is here:

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 3.jpg.html

I don't know where to search for Giuseppa born 1864 because there is no "Citta" sezione among the records. If I provided High Torabene with this index information, are you saying he would be able to locate the record and provide a copy?

I would also like to be clear in understanding that the records for "Citta"
are NOT available to search online. Is that correct?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm just trying to understand correctly. Thank you!

Robert

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio » 15 Sep 2019, 16:42

The citta Palermo witten for have indices by Hugh Torabene the are sections of Palermo on are on familysearch.org and antenati both different dates

PG LINK SCROLL DOWN
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

PG LINK
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... aurazione/

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

parkergambino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by parkergambino » 20 Sep 2019, 03:53

One can no longer deal directly with Hugh Tornabene (check spelling!), as he passed away in 2016. Before his death he was able to wrangle the Palermo matrimoni indexes into a sort-able MS Excel file, but did not get around to doing the same for births and deaths. Still, as has been pointed out, the 10-year indexes are available on Antenati.

I still struggle to understand Palermo's geographical organization and how the records (and their availability) are affected by it. A while back there was a somewhat similar search dilemma for death records in that early 1860's "gap" between the earlier Antenati records and the later FamilySearch records. And I haven't yet had time to delve in to achieve the understanding of the "system" to my satisfaction. I know it will take a sustained amount of effort for this to happen for me.

However, bbivona seemed to have a grip on the situation. It's possible that Citta records are to be found in the "Sezione Reunite" listings. Take a look at this thread, and see if it helps both your understanding and your search.

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 02#p284316

Good luck.

Parker

rfiorille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rfiorille » Today, 01:15

parkergambino wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 03:53
One can no longer deal directly with Hugh Tornabene (check spelling!), as he passed away in 2016. Before his death he was able to wrangle the Palermo matrimoni indexes into a sort-able MS Excel file, but did not get around to doing the same for births and deaths. Still, as has been pointed out, the 10-year indexes are available on Antenati.

I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Tornabene's passing. He truly made a great contribution with the indices of the Palermo records. I was not aware that the indices I was using on Antenati were from him. I found the Excel/Google Sheets files on this website (http://kristincihon.com/geni/locations/ ... mo/#family) and there do appear to be files for births from 1896-1905, but not the earlier records, nor the death records.

parkergambino wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 03:53
bbivona seemed to have a grip on the situation. It's possible that Citta records are to be found in the "Sezione Reunite" listings. Take a look at this thread, and see if it helps both your understanding and your search.

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 02#p284316

Good luck.

Parker

Thank you for pointing out this posting. It's exactly what I needed to read. So far I've only looked for the record I posted above from 1864 that listed Giuseppa Antrosiglio born in "Citta", but I had success finding it in the "Sezioni Riunite". So at first glance this does appear to be where the "Citta" records are located. I'm not doing a lot of research in Palermo, but I'll be sure to update this post if it appears that that most of my Citta records are located in the "Sezione Riunite".

Thanks!
Robert