Sereno from Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Sereno from Calabria

Post by mfjp »

Hope this helps some.....
Born in 1888 in Fagnano-Castello, Cosenza of Francesco Sereno and Filomena Rinaldo. He claims he entered the US in 1908 but I cannot find any listing of him from any of the usual ports of entry.
Emidio would be joining his uncle Matteo Rinaldo (MAYBE Filomena's brother?)

Mother mentioned on this manifest is Filomena Rinaldo (a clue here... father Francesco wasn't mentioned as next of kin in Italy.... he could have died 1909 or sooner, or could have already been in the USA...)

First Name: Smilio
Last Name: Serena
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Zagnono, Casenza
Date of Arrival: Apr 22, 1909
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Principe De Piemonte
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0006

Page 1

Page 2

Maybe he was Naturalized in 1937 - note the #s on page 1

Maria :P
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

WOW! Thank you so much! I have been researching this particular event, my grandfathers entry into the US, for years. This is certainly him. Your efforts are so appreciated! I am expecting a call from the History Center any day now. I will then be able to get a copy of his birth certificate and confirm that Filomena was his biological mother. BTW, my grandfathers first born daughter's name was Filomena. Again, thank you for your help.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

legnoduro wrote:WOW! Thank you so much! I have been researching this particular event, my grandfathers entry into the US, for years. This is certainly him. Your efforts are so appreciated! I am expecting a call from the History Center any day now. I will then be able to get a copy of his birth certificate and confirm that Filomena was his biological mother. BTW, my grandfathers first born daughter's name was Filomena. Again, thank you for your help.
:P !!

I am hoping that Filomena would be his biological mother...

Manifests found on the internet are so very important... though unfortunately many have been mis-transcribed... certainly makes research a challenge...

Look forward to hearing about your next visit to the History Center!!

Maria :P
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Ciao Tutti!
Here is the update for Emidio Sereno.
I just got back from the history center to research my grandfather's birth certificate. I checked ten years back and five years forward and found nothing! Needless to say I was very disappointed. He had indicated on several documents that he was born in 1888 in Fagnano Castello, Calabria but I could not find him in the records. Does anyone have any idea why this might be? Did he need a copy of his birth certificate when he applied and eventually got citizenship to the US? Would I have a better chance of finding the record by sending a letter to the Comune?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

jcsm400 wrote:LDS (Mormans) have films for the town of Fagnano-Castello, Italy

Civil registration records 1809-1910

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Which years did you research?... maybe 5 years forward wasn't far enough?

Maria
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

I actually went to 1901. That was the last year on the microfilm. If he was indeed a foundling and was adopted by Francesco Sereno and Filomena Rinaldo where would this record be? Is it also possible that all of the records were not copied to the microfilm?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi again,

Did you check for Emidio as a middle name? Many times, the middle name was the name they were known by. For example, 4th gr. grandfather was always referred to in the records as Vitale.....kept looking for his death act & found one for Baise Vitale....through more research, i found that they were the same person!

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

I found no instance of a Sereno. I did however find Rinaldo.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Sorry, that your research isn't processing. :( I "feel" your frustration"....been there, too!

I "pm" ed, suanj, one of our Italian members about your question on fondling papers....I would like to know the answer!

Also, I have gone over all the info here & found a possible reason why you did not find his birth act. His manifest (provided by Maria) shows the town of birth as Zagnono, Casenza (also listed as last residence), but I'm not finding either of those names. The closest is:Zagaria - comune: Plataci - province: Cosenza - region: Calabria.

You may want to check the film for Plataci. Here is the link.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

I just don't understanf why all US records for him shows the town of origin as Fagnano-Castello, except for the manifest. :?

You may want to "pm" suanj or one of the other Italian members & ask them for advise.....They are the true "masters" of Italian genealogy.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

legnoduro wrote:I actually went to 1901. That was the last year on the microfilm. If he was indeed a foundling and was adopted by Francesco Sereno and Filomena Rinaldo where would this record be? Is it also possible that all of the records were not copied to the microfilm?
legnoduro: this is the microfilm
Nati 1866-1897
FHL INTL Film
1607720 Items 2-4

so if you say 1901 what microfilm you look?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

The film I ordered was Nati 1866-1897 - FHL INTL Film (1607720 items 2-4)
The label on the box read 1607720 1809 - 1901. When I scanned the film I found the comune of Fagnano Castello and the correct dates. The label did not match the contents but the contents were correct. I read the indices and also looked at each certificate for the name. On the side of the actual birth certificate is a name. This name should be the birth name. The closest I came was a Francesco Rinaldo written in the left column in the year 1888 but this was his fathers name.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

and the record that you find was of this birthdate 29 Dec 1888?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Legnoduro you can post here the birthact found? suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

I didn't copy it. I will be returning to the history center soon to read other films I ordered and to review the Fagnano Castello film again. I will copy it and post it. The center was closing so I had to leave and didn't have time to read the birthact with Francesco's name. Isn't it the name of the person born listed on the side of the birthact, or could it be the father's name?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

legnoduro, you must look the miocrofilm by the 2 birthdat2 that you have... for my experience in the SSDI the birthdate are always correct, so the 28 dec 1888 must be right;
when you found( in the ship's manifest I read EMILIO and no EMIDIO....) the probable birthact please to post here the image, so we can help you better... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH