Cemetery check at Piea

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johnstonbm

Cemetery check at Piea

Post by johnstonbm »

Would appreciate if anyone could check Piea cemetery near Asti, Piemonte for my grandaunt, Elisa Emma Johnson, wife of Quinto Tocchio.

Piea death registration shows that she died at Piea on 7 December 1916, aged 43, born in London. I don't know if she was a visitor or a resident at her husband's birthplace at Piea. The death date of her husband is not known. Elisa Emma Johnson/Tocchio may have been buried in Piea cemetery. She was Anglican. I think they had no children. They were married in London in September 1901 and no trace has been found of them until 1916 when she died at Piea.

Brian
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Cemetery check at Piea

Post by Tessa78 »

johnstonbm wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 23:44 Would appreciate if anyone could check Piea cemetery near Asti, Piemonte for my grandaunt, Elisa Emma Johnson, wife of Quinto Tocchio.

Piea death registration shows that she died at Piea on 7 December 1916, aged 43, born in London. I don't know if she was a visitor or a resident at her husband's birthplace at Piea. The death date of her husband is not known. Elisa Emma Johnson/Tocchio may have been buried in Piea cemetery. She was Anglican. I think they had no children. They were married in London in September 1901 and no trace has been found of them until 1916 when she died at Piea.

Brian

According to the death act Elisa Emma Johnson was residing in Piea at the time of her death, and was born in London to deceased Giovanni; and to deceased Matilda Johnson.
Since she is mentioned on the death act as the "moglie di Quinto Tocchio" [wife of Q T] we can assume that he is still living. If Quinto were deceased, she would have been identified as the widow [vedova] of Quinto.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

It is likely that she would have been buried in Piea...
This article about Burial and Cemeteries in Italy may interest you.
https://angelresearch.net/2013/01/20/re ... r-a-while/

T.
johnstonbm

Post by johnstonbm »

The article about Burial and Cemeteries in Italy is very interesting. Would anyone care to find the death date of Quinto Tocchio who died after 1916? Quinto Tocchio was born in Piea about 1864, son of a tailor, Tommaso Tocchio. Quinto Tocchio may have died and buried in Piea. Would it be worthwhile to email to Comune di Piea? Brian Johnston, Australia
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

E-mail: piea@comune.piea.at.it
Comune di Piea
Piazza Italia 1
14020 Piea AT
Italy
Write in italian to the comune for your request

I think because it parte 2 of death records she was visiting at the time it is written that way on record

Cimitero di Piea

PG LINK
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cimit ... d8.0784282

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
johnstonbm

Post by johnstonbm »

I emailed Commune di Piea two years ago but they had not replied since.

I plan to visit Piea personally on Monday 15th August 2022 (this year) whilst on my travel to Europe. I am wondering if Cimitero di Piea (Piea cemetery) will be opened to the public on that day and if the cemetery gates are opened.

I would very much like to know about this in advance of my travel. I hope to find the tomb/grave of my grandaunt, Elisa Emma Johnson (wife of Quinto Tocchio) who died at Piea on 7 December 1916 aged 43. I still do not know when and where Quinto Tocchio died or if he remarried.

Also I note that there are one or two persons of the name Tocchio still living in Piea area. Would anyone care to help me in this regard.

Brian Johnston (Australia)
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Remember that August 15th in Italy is a public holiday (Ferragosto). Offices are closed.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Pit

Post by Pit »

Hi Brian,
consider that every 30 years the Land Concession for the tomb deceases. The Cemetery Administration ask to the relatives (if legally known) if they want to renew (paying) the concession again, otherways the bones of the the skeleton have to be moved in the Common Ossuary of the cemetery in indistinct form (only bones with other's bones). For private family tombs (riches families) the concession deceases after 99 years. Some cemetery has the records of still in existence tombs, phone to the Piea cemetery for information before. If there is no tombs of your grandaunt it means she is in the Common Ossuary there, a great underground tomb with thousands of bones. You can see in this place a simple big tombstone cover without any reference of the buried names.
Pit
johnstonbm

Post by johnstonbm »

Thanks for letting me know about August 15th being a public holiday and the 30 years Land Concession for the old tomb. If the tomb of my grandaunt (Elisa Emma Johnson, wife of Quinto Tocchio) died in 1916) is not in existence I would be interested to see other Tocchio family tombs if any.

Would anyone be very kind to phone Piea cemetery for me for information on Tocchio family tombs as I am deaf? I hope the cemetery will be open on August 16th.

Interestingly, two sisters of my grandaunt married Italian men in London, England, namely Giovanni Battista Quirico and Pietro Varesio, both of whom also came from Piea and died in London. I would love to contact any Tocchio, Quirico and Varesio relatives in Piea area.
Brian Johnston (Australia)
danielusa0106

Post by danielusa0106 »

good post,