Monforte Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Donna Mulvey

Monforte Family

Post by Donna Mulvey »

It starts in Italy with Nicola "Nicholas" Monforte born 18 Oct 1861 (he died 22 August 1927 Brooklyn), Roccalumera, Messina, Sicilia, Italy. His parents allegedly Francesco "Frank" Monforte and Giovanna Prinzi (born 30 March 1831, Agrigento, Italy). It's unclear when he married as I've been unable to find an actual marriage record for him but his wife's name is Crocifessa Napoli born 15 December 1880, Girgenti, Italy to Carmelo Napoli and Alfonsa Scicolone. The marriage was most likely in Italy. Nicola may have had two brothers Giovanni "John" Monforte born circa 1863, and possibly Francesco "Frank" Monforte . I had a record indicating Nicola was the son of Giovanna Prinzi but for some reason I can't find it!

Nicola and his 2 sons; Francesco "Frank", age 16 and Michael, age 9 sailed from Messina, Italy and arrived here in NYC 5 March 1914 on the ship Berlin. I assume since his wife and daughters came later Nicola and the boys came here first to set up a new home for the family. Ok so, the focus of this post is their son Francesco "Frank" Monforte and his wife Concetta Mary Monforte; let's move on to them.

Francesco "Frank" Monforte born 6 Feb 1897, Italy, arrived with father and brother 5 March 1914. He married 8 July 1920 in NYC Concetta Mary Monforte. Now she's interesting, mainly because her father is a bit of a challenge. Concetta Mary Monforte was born 16 Nov 1897 in Italy to whom I believe are Giovanni "John" Monforte, and Marianna "Anna" Basila. Concetta Mary Monforte arrived here in NYC 3 July 1907 aboard the ship Italia from the Palermo port. On the ship manifest she's listed as " Ma Coucetta Monforte" which is why I had a hard time finding it. Anyway, it lists (Mari) Anna Basila age 45, Giovanna age 12, Francesco age 14, and Ma Coucetta age 9.

Francesco "Frank" Monforte born 6 Feb 1897, Italy, arrived with father and brother 5 March 1914. He married 8 July 1920 in NYC Concetta Mary Monforte. Now she's interesting, mainly because her father is a bit of a challenge.

Concetta Mary Monforte was born 16 Nov 1897 in Italy to whom I believe are Giovanni "John" Monforte (born about 1863 possibly to Francesco Monforte and wife Giovanna Prinzi. He may have immigrated about 1897), and Marianna "Anna" Basile (possibly born 1873 to Giuseppe Basile and wife Giovanna Di Paola),

Concetta Mary Monforte arrived here in NYC 3 July 1907 aboard the ship Italia from the Palermo port. On the ship manifest she's listed as " Ma Coucetta Monforte" which is why I had a hard time finding it. Anyway, it lists (Mari) Anna Basila age 45, Giovanna age 12, Francesco age 14, and MO Loucetta age 9. It also states on the record that they were traveling to join their father and cites his name as Giovanni Monforte, 273 (what looks like) Hamilton Avenue, Brooklyn. Interestingly, Concetta's social security record lists her parents as Marianna Basile and John Monforte. There is also a marriage record Palermo, Italy, Marriages, 1820-1895, Vol 141, #525 for a Giovanni Monforte to an Anna Basile 25 Nov 1890 that cites his parents as Francesco Monforte and wife Giovanna Prinzi BUT he never appears in any census record for the family, he does appear as a boarder in 1900, prior to wife and I cannot seem to locate a ship record for him. There is also a death record for him which bears the name John Monforte, and has the same information as most of other members of the family. He was a Barber, born in Italy, it's right down to the address where other family members lived and worked. What gets me is the parents cited on the death certificate is John Monforte and Mary Basile. The date of death is 28 March 1922, age at death was 59, which puts his born at around 1863.

Interestingly there is also a John Monforte who ended up in jail at Sing Sing for murder on 11 Nov 1913, released in 1921. This person was also a barber, born in Italy, and lived at 341 Hamilton Avenue in Brooklyn, the same place as other family members lived. He did move a few times but mostly locally prior to his incarceration.

What I'm trying to prove is whether or not he's the son of Francesco Monforte and wife Giovanna Prinzi.

Francesco Monforte and wife Giovanna Prinzi
Children are Nicola, and possibly Giovanni and/or John, perhaps a Francesco. There may have been more but I've been unable to source any.

Nicola and wife Crocifessa Napoli
Children are; Francesco, Alfonsa, Michael, Giovanna "Jennie", Carmelo, Lilly (died young), Frances (died young), Lillian, Concetta (died young), Carmella, I think there may have been a few more but they died young.

Francesco "Frank" Monforte and his wife Concetta Mary Monforte
Children are; Carmella, Michael, John, Nicholas, Frank, Joseph, Anna

Oh yes, I had a ship record for one of these people who cited a Giovanna Monforte as the grandmother but darnit I can't find that record now either.

Thanks so much for your assistance.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Monforte Family

Post by PippoM »

So, you mean you'd like to prove that Frank and Concetta were first cousins?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
judyvalentine

Post by judyvalentine »

Hello My grandfather was Dominico Valente born Cassino, Italy in 1884, his father was Giuseppe Valente 1852 - 1909. I am trying to find out when my grandfather came to England. I am grateful for any assistance you can supply.

regards

Judy
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

INDEX#68
1861 Oct 14th born in Roccalmonte prov Messina birth record of Nicola Monforte son of Francesco Monforte age 35 and his legal wife Giovanna Prinzi age 35

PG LINK
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Here shipmanifest of Crocifessa Napoli line#1 with Monforte girls her mother name Alfonsa

PG LINK 1
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... 1527618166

PG LINK 2
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... _2474-0485

New York, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1794-1943 for Crusefix

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/22 ... 0123/facts

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty