Searching Italian Records for Torino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
granddaughter16

Searching Italian Records for Torino

Post by granddaughter16 »

I was able to find records for my Berutti and Montiglio ancestors on FamilySearch although some of the records are hard to find. Birth, marriage and death certificates are available for several towns in Torino from mid-1800's or so to at least 1899 for smaller towns and 1794 or so to 1920 for some of the larger towns. These records answered a lot of questions for me. The Berutti's were from Alice Superiore and the Montiglio family was from San Colombano (Belmonte).

For the first of records: go to "Search" and then "Records". On that screen under "Research by Location" type in "Italy, Torino". Five choice will be shown. Click om "Italy, Torino, Ivrea, Civil Registration (Tribunal) 1965-1937.
On the next screen it shows:
View Images in this Collection
Browse through 722,302 images - Click on this (It's in blue print)
The next screen shows:
Provincia
Torino - click on this (It's in blue print)
The next screen shows - Comune o frazione and each city is listed in alphabetical order. Each city also has their own records and many vary by what's available and the years available.

If you don't see you city listed or want to search for records prior to dates available for your city don't despair.
Your next is to go back to "Search" and click on "Catalog". On the next screen click on "Author". Under "Author Name" type in "Chiesa Cattolica". That will bring up a screen with many, many Catholic Churches by Dioceses. If you type "Torino" after "Chiesa Cattolica" which bring up a screen with "Chiesa Cattolica. Diocesi di Torino" on the top of the list. Click on that and there is a drop down box that says "Registri ecclesiastici della Diocesi di Torino (Torino), 1823-1899" (It's in blue). Click on that and it brings you to a screen that states all the towns that have records on this screen. You need to scroll down a bit find the list of records. They are alphabetized by town, but not indexed. It's quite frustrating to find a particular town because of the alphabetization and then by year(s) but once you find the town in one record it gives you an idea of where to look on the next record. The earlier records are in Latin and hard to read because of the writing. I found my great-grandfather's baptismal certificate under Alice Superiore in 1858 and my great-grandmother Antonia Montiglio under San Colombano in 1860. Also found marriage records for many other family members.

This website is a gold mine of information for Torino. There are many more cities and diocese available so I'm sure there are answers out there for many people researching their Italian heritage.

I hope this information is helpful to many, many people as it was for me. If you have problems or any questions, please contact me and I will be happy to help.
Good Luck.
Virgene Kilbourn

bings you to