Schiavone — Barletta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gascot
Rookie
Rookie

Schiavone — Barletta

Post by gascot »

Trying to find records concerning one Concetta Schiavone and her ancestors — Vincenzo or Antonio Schiavone and Rose Ricatti.

• 17 Feb 1829 — Concetta marries Giuseppe Mele. Her name is recorded as Maria, her age is recorded as 21 meaning she was born ~1808, and her father's name is recorded as Antonio, and her mother's name is recorded as Anna Rosa Ricatti. (http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0)

• 23 Dec 1851 — Concetta and Giuseppe have their first child, Maddalena Mele, in Trani. Her age is recorded as 43, meaning she was born ~1808. (http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0)

• 17 Jan 1858 — Concetta dies in Trani. Her age is recorded as 45, meaning she was born ~1813, and her father's name is recorded as Vincenzo. (http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 5.jpg.html)

I have no idea why there are this many discrepancies. Without a birth record, I can't know what is correct — whether her name at birth was Maria or Concetta, whether her father was named Antonio or Vincenzo, or whether she was born c. 1808 or c. 1813.

When Concetta was married in 1829, her father (whatever his name actually was) was already dead, but her mother Rose Ricatti is recorded as still living. There's no record of her death.

rlw254
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Schiavone — Barletta

Post by rlw254 »

The birth year is likely closer to the 1808 figure, the approximate ages at this time were often inaccurate but typically lean towards the older age given.

As for Antonio/Vincenzo and other forename discrepancies, this could be a mistake or it could be as simple as a given name or common name being used. What is helpful is to find other records and see which name is most common.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 8.jpg.html
Barletta deaths #653
23 Nov 1825
Gioacchino Schiavone, 27, son of Antonio (deceased) and Anna Rosa Ricatti
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto

Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

The age on marriage certificates was generally correct. The bride and groom had to present a copy of the birth certificate (a copy of the baptismal certificate in the early years of the civil registry) before the marriage could take place. The age on a marriage certificate is therefore almost always correct.
This was not the case with a birth declaration. Then the official estimated the man's age or the man told him so and said how old his wife was. Those ages are generally unreliable. An extreme example was the village I indexed in which the age of the men was 40 years in all birth declarations and 30 of the women in all. This was apparently a very lazy official, but in general I would not rely on birth certificate ages.
Why would you even if you have the marriage certificate?

gascot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gascot »

Primo Mattino wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 15:59
The age on marriage certificates was generally correct. The bride and groom had to present a copy of the birth certificate (a copy of the baptismal certificate in the early years of the civil registry) before the marriage could take place. The age on a marriage certificate is therefore almost always correct.
This was not the case with a birth declaration. Then the official estimated the man's age or the man told him so and said how old his wife was. Those ages are generally unreliable. An extreme example was the village I indexed in which the age of the men was 40 years in all birth declarations and 30 of the women in all. This was apparently a very lazy official, but in general I would not rely on birth certificate ages.
Why would you even if you have the marriage certificate?
Thank you for the insight!