ITALIAN SURNAMES

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sdonlea

ITALIAN SURNAMES

Post by sdonlea »

I have certificate from Turin regarding a marriage in 1869. The marriage was between Gioanni Maria PLATINI and Teresa Antonia Ippolita GOLZIO. The document states that her surname after marriage would be GOLZIO PLATINI. Did married women always use both surnames? Also, if there were any children of the marriage, would they have used both surnames as well?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: ITALIAN SURNAMES

Post by suanj »

the surname of women married in Italy, in the past time as currently, are always the birth surname, but the women can use in adding the surname of husband, but with the precisation of this correct way:

Teresa Antonia Ippolita GOLZIO in PLATINI
where "in" mean married to Platini man...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

As Suanj says, Italian married women traditionally use their maiden surnames all of their lives.

In my own family in Italy, all of my married female relatives go strictly by their maiden surnames, so this holds true even today.

Children of the marriage would have only their father's surname, not their mother's. The children of your GOLZIO-PLATINI ancestors would have the surname PLATINI only.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

right raymo!!! suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sdonlea

Post by sdonlea »

Thank you for your help.
ditota
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ditota »

suanj,

As always you give very interesting and informative information which is appreciated very much.

di Soccio is one of my direct lines and my 3 great grandparents were Romualdo di Soccio (1774-1839) and Mariangela Guastaferro (1793-1864)of Campobasso, CB. However, in records their children's surname is di Soccio Serone. I have found that only in records of their sons and later generations simply used the surname di Soccio or variations thereof.

Since di Soccio was a fairly common name in Campobasso, CB could "di Soccio Serone" refer to a past di Soccio - Serone marriage?
Albert De Tota (di Tota)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Albert: in Italy, in past time as currently, when it is a surname in 2 part( both also surnames), AND WITHOUT "IN" word (woman married) the meaning are only 3, second my experience:

1- in noble family, when also the mother surname is of noble issue
2-when the child is a adopted child, but no orphan child, so this child have the right parents, but it is adopetd from another family with consent of natural parents: in this case the child have the right surname + adopted surname
3-ONLY IN THE PAST TIME(abt 1870) when a family emigrant from a town, it is settled down in another town where always was the same surname as original family of town: so for the further difference of this 2 families of same surname but of various origin, only to emigrant family is added also the wife surname; this is a very rare case! however for exemple: Di Soccio surname in X town and in Y town; Di Soccio family of X town came in Y town where already exist a Di SOCCIO family but no related with Di Soccio of X town; so Di Soccio of X town, husband Di Soccio surname and wife surname is Serone, both now resident in Y town, become for a limited time on the civil records: Di Soccio Serone.

obviously could be also another case, but i don't know more.
best regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ditota
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ditota »

Thank you, suanj.
It could be that my di Soccio line came from another comune and didn't want to be confused with the di Soccio families already in Campobasso, CB. In my large Campobasso, CB file I have only 3 Serone names and one of them, Pasquale, may be my 2 Great grandfather Pasquale di Soccio Serone who's surname was recorded as Serone, a witness on the birth record of my cousin Michelangelo Raffaele Ariemma.

Thanks again, suanj.
Albert De Tota (di Tota)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Albert, it could be so.. regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ajcris13 »

Hi Al,

Hope all is well with you.

It's Artie C "distant cousin". I was reading your older posting and I have a theory. Romualdo di Soccio (1774-1839) is also my ancestral grandfather, however, my blood line was with the first marriage to Rosa Cerio, which produced their son Constanzo. Theory, could your ancestors have hyphenated their name with Serone so as to distinguish themselves from the first marriage?

regards

Artie