Seeking a Genealogist

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AlexKN

Seeking a Genealogist

Post by AlexKN »

My request is different from most. I have made significant progress on my tree using the records available in the city of Palermo, Sicily, however I have many ancestors whose records are located in the churches of San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria and Santa Maria Monserrato (plus who knows what else behind that) during the 18th century. I have tried directly contacting Santa Maria Monserrato, but they do not answer my emails; San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria doesn't even have email contact.

I understand that in the current environment not many churches are giving genealogists permission to examine their records. Ideally, I would just travel to Palermo myself to do this, but such isn't an option at this time.

The difficult part for the genealogist is the clients: we are fully fluent in the ecclesiastical language and move very fast through things. We're essentially looking for a (preferably Palermo-based) genealogist who is OK with doing more of a treasure hunt because, for most of these ancestors, we even have narrowed-down windows in which events could have taken place. As a result, the goal is more a matter of finding and scanning the records with no translation or transcription needed. I have asked Marcello about this, but he graciously declined.
Surnames: Addamo, Assena, Biundo, Bracco, Caruso, Costa, Cuccia, d'Amico, di Fiore, di Majo, Di Palermo, Grieco, Jacono, la Licata, Picoraro, Ricci, Russo, Sinopoli, Spadaro, Zummo, etc.
rp76226
Master
Master

Re: Seeking a Genealogist

Post by rp76226 »

I used Raimondo Lentini - lentini5259@gmail.com for my search for ancestors in Racalmuto, Agrigento, Sicily. He had all the church records there going back to the 1500s and traced my ancestors back to a 1588 marriage. He lives in Sicily. I don't know if he can help with your search. He communicates in Italian through emails though he gave me record translations in English. I use Google Translate when I communicate with him since I do not speak Italian.

Ron Puma
AlexKN

Post by AlexKN »

rp76226 wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 18:27 I used Raimondo Lentini - lentini5259@gmail.com for my search for ancestors in Racalmuto, Agrigento, Sicily. He had all the church records there going back to the 1500s and traced my ancestors back to a 1588 marriage. He lives in Sicily. I don't know if he can help with your search. He communicates in Italian through emails though he gave me record translations in English. I use Google Translate when I communicate with him since I do not speak Italian.

Ron Puma
Do you know if Raimondo does any work in the Palermo area or not? I tried a Google search and couldn't find him.
Surnames: Addamo, Assena, Biundo, Bracco, Caruso, Costa, Cuccia, d'Amico, di Fiore, di Majo, Di Palermo, Grieco, Jacono, la Licata, Picoraro, Ricci, Russo, Sinopoli, Spadaro, Zummo, etc.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I know that he does more than Racalmuto. He lives in Sicily and Palermo is in Sicily. I gave you his email address in my original post. Contact him and ask.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Try Marcello D'Aleo he knows Palermo very well and I used him for Santa Petronella in Trabia Palermo

https://www.apgen.org/users/marcello-daleo

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Marty
The poster stated in the last sentence of the initial post above that Marcello declined

"I have asked Marcello about this, but he graciously declined."

Erudita
AlexKN

Post by AlexKN »

Just to follow up on all this...

I reached out to Raimondo Lentini, and he was an absolute pleasure to work with concerning my ancestors from Agrigento. I highly recommend contacting him about all pre-civil records from Agrigento.

Raimondo also informed me that Santa Maria Monserrato is a bit infamous among genealogists for being uncooperative and difficult to access.

I am still seeking aid concerning San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Who are looking for and the year in San Nicola di Bari Albergheria?
Chiesa San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria è una filiale della Parrocchia Cattedrale.
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
AlexKN

Post by AlexKN »

In that church, I specifically am working on Pomara, Fanale, d'Antoni, Romano, Picciurro, and Cosentino. This is the 1720-1800 window where the San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria records were not integrated into the cathedral records, requiring an on-site search at the church.