Ages of Mother

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AlexKN

Ages of Mother

Post by AlexKN »

Based on the evidence that has presented itself, I am staring at a situation where a Palermo ancestor of mine was 54 years of age when she became pregnant with her last child. Everything overwhelmingly points to this being her, as much as my mother and I think it's ridiculous. I have relatives who, at or near such an age, still hadn't jumped that barrier, but nutrition is so different nowadays. Should I be worried that I am kidding myself of such a possibility?

Overall, when doing such research, what do you consider too young or too old for age of child-bearing when working on a family tree?
Surnames: Addamo, Assena, Biundo, Bracco, Caruso, Costa, Cuccia, d'Amico, di Fiore, di Majo, Di Palermo, Grieco, Jacono, la Licata, Picoraro, Ricci, Russo, Sinopoli, Spadaro, Zummo, etc.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Ages of Mother

Post by adelfio »

What town in Palermo and what her name?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
AlexKN

Post by AlexKN »

I have her birth date, death date, wedding dates, birth dates of all her children, and even every baptism on which she was the godmother.

What worries me is the scientific chance of a woman, in 1799, getting pregnant at the age of 54. Is this even feasible?
Surnames: Addamo, Assena, Biundo, Bracco, Caruso, Costa, Cuccia, d'Amico, di Fiore, di Majo, Di Palermo, Grieco, Jacono, la Licata, Picoraro, Ricci, Russo, Sinopoli, Spadaro, Zummo, etc.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

I transcribed all the records in one of my towns from 1809-1865 and the oldest mother was given as age 50. Scientifically possible for a mother to be 54, sure, just unlikely.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto