Are these surnames the same name?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Smitty

Are these surnames the same name?

Post by Smitty »

In Caltagirone, I have seen a number of Nigido and Nigito families. In neighboring Mineo, there were once Nicito families. Are all these likely just spelling variations of each other, or are the "g" and "c" sounds too distinct for that to be the case? Just a question of curiosity. Thanks in advance.

Jean Galata
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Are these surnames the same name?

Post by Jean Galata »

I have heard that in some villages people with common surnames, sometimes voluntarily change the spelling slightly just to distinguish between families.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

In the Italian language you pronounce every letter. In dialect these pronounciations are often 'slurred' leading to spelling variations even within the same family. Follow the trail, don't get sidetracked by this kind of thing.
Ann Tatangelo
Tours, citizenship certificates and ancestral research in Italy
http://angelresearch.net
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Check your family thats link to them

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.
Italysearcher wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 11:05
In the Italian language you pronounce every letter. In dialect these pronounciations are often 'slurred' leading to spelling variations even within the same family. Follow the trail, don't get sidetracked by this kind of thing.
I'm guessing this is one such case because I've run across even more bizarre variations before (Carobene/Carveni/Carve, for example). And you're right: The trail leads where it leads. You can't get too bogged down in spelling.