Help finding the parents of a person

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dpv
Rookie
Rookie

Help finding the parents of a person

Post by dpv »

I am stumped on a problem and would like to engage this generous and insightful community.

I am trying to definitively determine the parents of an individual: Giovanni Visco.

Giovanni (to me) is a bit of an enigma since I can't find his birth record, marriage record or death record. Any one of those items would lead me to confirm his parents.

The first appearance I find of Giovanni is the birth of his son (Domenico Antonio) in 1823.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Giovanni is listed as 26 on this birth certificate, so a birth date around 1797 is reasonable. By this time he is married to Giuseppina Scala, but I find no marriage record. This marriage may be one of those years that is not available.

I find that Giovanni has three more children: Maria Maddelena (9/25/26), Antonia Margarita (1/20/29) and Samuel Antonio (9/20/31).

I also find that two of Giovanni's children pass away early: Antonia Margarita (12/18/29) and Samuel Antonio (8/14/32).

From Antonia's death record, we find that Giovanni is listed as 30 (perhaps there is some rounding there) and Giovanni's father (Domenico) is listed as 60 (which would make his birth year about 1871). Okay...so we have Domenico Visco, but need to know which one he is and, more importantly, who his his wife (and the mother of Giovanni).

Samuel Antonio's death record has the same people, but Domenico is listed now as 50, though it is three years later. I'd assume this is an error in the person completing the form.

My conjecture, but I have no direct information, is that the Domenico Visco listed above (Giovanni's father) is married to Margarita Laina. However, this is just an educated guess based on other information. One thing that makes me think this is the following:

This is the death record of Nicolina Visco from 1835. Giovanni Visco is listed as one of the witnesses (age 36), so the DOB would make sense. He is also listed as Nicolina's brother. Since Nicolina's parents are listed as Domenico Visco and Margarita Laina, this would lend support to my conjecture. But, as I mentioned, I have no "direct" document that lists Giovanni's parents (not birth certificate, marriage certificate or death certificate).

Any thoughts on the validity of my conjecture from this community and/or information to confirm his parents?

Thank you,

Don
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Help finding the parents of a person

Post by PippoM »

Have you extensively searched his death record?
Or have you searched his surviving children's marriages?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here is the 1851 marriage of Domenicantonio Visco to Angela D'Amato: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Both Giovanni and Giuseppina are still living. The only attachments mentioned are the birth records of bride and groom, which won't be that helpful in finding the names of Giovanni's parents.

Edit to Add: Just wanted to mention, in case you hadn't noticed, that in both Samuel's Death Record, and also in Nicolina's Death Record each Domenico Visco mentioned has the occupation molinaro (miller).

Angela
dpv
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dpv »

Pippo: I have searched for Giovanni's death record with the information available (1813 - 1856) on the Italian Ancestors site, but did not find it. Where else is available to search?

Angela: Yes...Domenico Visco's occupation changes depending on the document. While I won't provide the citation here, this is what I find:

BIRTH RECORDS:
Porsia Visco (b: 5/21/13). Domenico is a bracciale.
Porsia Donata Barbara Visco (b: 12/12/14). Domenico is a bracciale.
Porsia (b: 4/25/16). Domenico is a molinaro. Rosantonia (b: 4/25/16). Domenico is a molinaro.

Domenico is 42 by now and Margarita Laina is 39, so while they had many children, these are the only records I find that are available (starting with 1813).

MARRIAGE RECORDS
Giuseppina Visco and Carmine Scala (m: 7/10/28). Alas, Domenico is now listed again as bracciale.
Nicola Visco and Giuseppina Giliberti (m: 2/3/38). Domenico is now listed differently, a land-owner? (possidente).
Rosantonia Visco and Antonio Domenico Luigi (m:12/5/40). Domenico is back to being a molinaro.
Nicola Visco and Irena Trimarco (m: 12/5/40). Brother and sister get married on same day! His second, her first. Domenico is listed as molinaro.
Porsia Visco and Domenico Maffeo (m: 1/22/43). Domenico is still listed as molinaro.

DEATH RECORDS
Porsia Visco (d: 3/2/14). Domenico Visco is a bracciale.
Nicolina Visco (d: 10/6/35). Domenico Visco is a molinaro.
Giuseppina Visco (d: 3/19/48). Domenico Visco is back to being listed as a bracciale.

Domenico's own death record (d: 10/26/55). It lists his age in the 80s and a bracciale.

---

I do have Margarita Laina's death record (d: 7/30/37) and it lists her son as Giovanni who is age 38, and that makes sense. Once again, is it the same Giovanni Visco?

Thanks to anyone who can provide their perspective on these compelling, yet seemingly indirect confirmation of Giovanni's parents.

Regards,

Don
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

There are further records for the town of Petina here at Family Search. Just click on the little camera: https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

1866 Deaths begin here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=719672

There are ten year death indices here covering 1866-1875: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=719672 (It shows one Giovanni Visco who died in 1869)

1869 Death No 34 Visco Giovanni: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=719672 (Unfortunately, there's a snag. It looks like Family Search didn't film the next page of the register so we don't know which Giovanni Visco this might be. The records jump from No 34 to No 38.)

Anyway, I'll leave this with you as I need to go out soon. Hopefully you will find some helpful records here.

Edit to Add: I don't think you have this:
1875 Death No 12 Porzia Visco: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=719672

Angela
dpv
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dpv »

Thanks, Angela.

That record for Giovanni Visco was exactly what I needed to provide a definitive answer...and yet the next page is missing! :(

There is a whole host of circumstantial evidence, however. This is a small town (always under 2000 people), Visco isn't that popular of a name in Petina (unlike Scala or Zito), and I haven't found another Giovanni Visco who had a father that wasn't Domenico.

However, just because I want something to be true doesn't make it true.

Any additional advice or your person thoughts on my conjecture given the evidence?

Regards.

Don
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Just a quick thought here as I'm suppose to be somewhere else soon. I was really disappointed also that the Death Record was sooooo incomplete. I'm thinking though, that maybe you could write to the town of Petuna and ask them to look in the 1869 register and send you a copy of the complete record. You know the name, the year, and even the number of the Death Record so how hard could it be for them to find it for you and make a copy of the "complete" record and send it to you. If there's no help there then try the State Archives, they should have a copy. I'm certain that what has happened is that when Family Search were filming they accidently turned over two pages and didn't realise. I've seen this before.

Anyways, meanwhile I'm thinking about some of the other matters you have raised here.

I also wanted to mention to you, that, I have noticed on Family Search that there is a tree or two pertaining to your family. It bugs me though that there are no citations included. If you can't find it, I'll take a screen shot and message it to you. ('m not sure whether we are suppose to do this on a public forum or not. Not sure what the rules are re this.)

Must dash. All the best to you.

Angela
dpv
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dpv »

Thank you, Angela. I do appreciate your suggestions.

I am well aware of that tree / those trees in Family Search. Almost all of them have no citations. My efforts to contact those who added the information have been in vain. It is why I am so grateful to have found these archives so I can do the investigations myself.

There is one tree with Margarita Laina married to Domenico Visco in Family Search. They list seven children. I can account for most of them, but incomplete data on births/deaths/marriages prevent me from confirming all. And since it says Domenico and Margarita were married in 1795 (no citation), I suspect they had a few children prior to the first listed in 1803 (which is Giuseppina). Thus, the timeline would fit with Giovanni (estimated to be born about 1799).

Like I mentioned...a lot of information points in the same direction with no one piece of definitive information. However, at this point I would surprised if Giovanni Visco wasn't the son of Domenico and Margarita Laina.

Thank you,

Don