Looking for Giuseppe LaBarbera of Mezzojuso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lsitkin

Looking for Giuseppe LaBarbera of Mezzojuso

Post by lsitkin »

I am looking for a birth certificate and any information about my great-grandfather, Giuseppe LaBarbera of Mezzojuso. He was the eldest of 5 (?) children. I don't know his parents' names but his siblings were possibly Giovanni, Giuseppina, Tomasino, and possibly one other sister. He left Italy in 1898 and listed his birthdate as May 18, 1880 on several US documents, although the US census records and passenger list of his arrival in the US indicate he may have been born in 1879 instead.

I am new to genealogy searches so I'm not sure how I might find this information in the Italian records, so any help would be appreciated.
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Giuseppe LaBarbera of Mezzojuso

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

He was born in Mezzoiuso on 18 May 1881, son of Sigismondo La Barbera and Gaetana Bellone.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
lsitkin

Post by lsitkin »

Grazie Marcello! This is interesting information. Just yesterday I received Giuseppe’s marriage certificate, which lists his parents’ names as Giuseppe LaBarbera and Caterina Betane. Could you tell me how you found the information on May 18, 1881? Thank you!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

lsitkin wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 03:13 Grazie Marcello! This is interesting information. Just yesterday I received Giuseppe’s marriage certificate, which lists his parents’ names as Giuseppe LaBarbera and Caterina Betane. Could you tell me how you found the information on May 18, 1881? Thank you!
Here is the link to the birth act Marcello referenced above.
#105 - bottom right in image
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2051639

T.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

My best friend's family is also from Mezzojuso. Some of their family surnames are LoPiccolo, Lagatutta and D'Urso...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Turns out his grandmother's maiden name was LaBarbera -- I wonder if she was the un-named sister. her name was Domenica. She was a very sweet lady.
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
lsitkin

Post by lsitkin »

MarcuccioV wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 01:33 Turns out his grandmother's maiden name was LaBarbera -- I wonder if she was the un-named sister. her name was Domenica. She was a very sweet lady.
Where did Domenica live? Those names don't sound familiar. Maybe she was a cousin, though.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

She was born in Mezzojuso, emigrated to Chicago and wound up in Southern California. She was married to Gaetano (Tom) D'Urso.
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

If Mezzojuso is anything like Valmontone (where my maternal side is from) the surnames keep recycling as there were few marriages to "interlopers" from outside of the town limits...
Mark