Giuseppe Gargagliano from Messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Antoinette Bruno

Giuseppe Gargagliano from Messina

Post by Antoinette Bruno »

How can I find details of my great great grandfather's birth and life in Messina. When did he leave Sicily and is there a reason why he would have emigrated to the US at that time?

Many thanks,
Antoinette
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe Gargagliano from Messina

Post by Biff83 »

Antoinette,

What other details can you supply?

Birth year
Wife's name
Children
Where lived in the US?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Antoinette Bruno

Re: Giuseppe Gargagliano from Messina

Post by Antoinette Bruno »

Hi, Biff!

Apologies for using the wrong first name on this thread. His name was Pascuale Gargagliano, but changed the surname to Gargale in the US.

Here are some additional details:

Great-Grandfather: Pascuale Gargagliano B: 1851 in Messina or nearby / D: 1927 in Philadelphia, PA

Spouse: Dorotea Emanuele B: 1854 in Sicily / D: 5 March 1934 in Philadelphia, PA

Children:
Rita (my grandmother) B: 29 July 1872 in Sicily / D: 23 December 1947 in Philadelphia, PA
Catarina B: 1881 in Sicily / D: 1930 in Philadelphia, PA
Camillo B: 29 January 1885 / D: 1918 in Philadelphia, PA
Concetta (Marry) B: 29 January 1892 in Pennsylvania, USA / Died 1918 in Philadelphia, PA

Pascuale arrived in the US in 1890 and was in the US Marine Corp Band in Washington, DC
Moved in 1891 to the Philadelphia area and died there in 1927.

Any details about where everyone came from in Sicily would be very helpful. Pascuale's daughter, Rita, married my father's father, Pietro Bruno. My father and I travelled to Messina about 30 years ago and were issued a birth certificate for Pietro Bruno from the Messina records office.

Pietro Bruno (grandfather) B: 2 May 1873 in Messina D: 29 Jun 1946 in Philadelphia.

Best wishes,
Antoinette Bruno Afrikian