Looking for US marriage act.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cedrone
Master
Master

Looking for US marriage act.

Post by cedrone »

Good morning.
I'd like to know if there can be found a marriage act or other useful document to determine the maiden name of a woman married in the US, that appears in the censuses only with the husband's surname.
This is to verify what put in their family tree by some descendants, who identified this person with one arrived from Italy that should have changed name and surname in the US. I'm not sure it's the correct identification.
The persons are:
Louis Faverio
born 1886 (from the census)
married with
Josephine Faverio born 1895
marriage around 1911.
this family appears in the 1930 census as Faveiro (instead of Faverio), living in Redstone, Fayette, Pennsylvania.
and then in the 1940 census, with name Lewie Faverio.
Thank you very much.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Looking for US marriage act.

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a death certificate for infant child of Louis Faverio and Josephine "Palondo" in Redstone in 1925.

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... =605098742

T.
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

Her obituary from the Daily Courier, Connellsville, PA, January 24, 1956, page 16. Daughter of Geno and Caterina Lucia Polando.

Also her mother's obituary is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Thank you Tessa and bbivona.
The obituaries confirm the name of Josephine Polando and on this seems to agree also the Faverio family.
According to a Polando descendant and what I found on the registers of Nusco, she arrived in the US with name Raffaela Parlà, born in Nusco 12 Nov. 1894,
and then changed name to Josephine Polando.
But Family Search suggested also a marriage of a Raffaela Pallante with a Biaggio Coccaro.
Still to be investigated the origin of the husband Louis Faverio, that I 'd like to connect to other parts of the Faverio family in Italy.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

cedrone wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 16:44 Thank you Tessa and bbivona.
The obituaries confirm the name of Josephine Polando and on this seems to agree also the Faverio family.
According to a Polando descendant and what I found on the registers of Nusco, she arrived in the US with name Raffaela Parlà, born in Nusco 12 Nov. 1894,
and then changed name to Josephine Polando.
But Family Search suggested also a marriage of a Raffaela Pallante with a Biaggio Coccaro.
Still to be investigated the origin of the husband Louis Faverio, that I 'd like to connect to other parts of the Faverio family in Italy.
The birth act of 12 November 1894 in Nusco is for a male child, Raffaele Parla'
There is a notation showing a correction of the gender.

Father: Gennaro Parla', age 19
Mother: Caterina di Lucia, his wife.

It MAY be that Caterina was married later to a Polando, and when coming to USA her daughter became Polando?
Just an idea...

T.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Yes, I saw the change of gender. It seems odd after 20 years and with the person emigrated. Perhaps from the US was sent a marriage act or asked a birth act and the problem was found.
Your idea can be considered.
Caterina arrived in New York in 1903, reaching her husband Gennaro already in the US, that should be died in 1926, 23 February, with name Gennaro Parlando.
Could be found an obituary?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

So Gennaro Parla' and Gennaro (Joseph) Parlando/Polando are the same person?

I will see what I can find.

There is a family tree on Ancestry for the family. Owner is Karline Rousseau.
The surname is listed as both Parla' and Parlando.
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... cessSource

You may already have this... Joe Polando's death certificate. Death on 3 January 1926.
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... Id=5212987

And here is the birth act of Gennaro Parla' on 30 May 1875 in Nusco.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

And the birth of his son, Giuseppe, on 13 September 1897 in Nusco.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

T.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Thank you very much, Tessa.
Yes, the Polando descendant who put a tree on MyHeritage, says the name of his ancestor was Gennaro Parlando but then I saw the original name was Parlà, also on the ship manifest of the wife arrival. As Gennaro Parlando is indicated on a page of FindAGrave, but with different dates and without photo.
If the death certificate says Joe Polando, this means he had already taken this surname, that remained to the sons.
I have not access to ancestry, could you please send me the death certificate here or by PM? Thank you.
The tree is probably similar to that on MyHeritage.
As too the acts of Nusco, I had found the first, not the second, of Giuseppe Parlà, who became Joseph Polando.
How have you found it?
I found another son, born in 1900, who died the same year.
Thank you again for all.
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

cedrone wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 21:58 Thank you very much, Tessa.
Yes, the Polando descendant who put a tree on MyHeritage, says the name of his ancestor was Gennaro Parlando but then I saw the original name was Parlà, also on the ship manifest of the wife arrival. As Gennaro Parlando is indicated on a page of FindAGrave, but with different dates and without photo.
If the death certificate says Joe Polando, this means he had already taken this surname, that remained to the sons.
I have not access to ancestry, could you please send me the death certificate here or by PM? Thank you.
The tree is probably similar to that on MyHeritage.
As too the acts of Nusco, I had found the first, not the second, of Giuseppe Parlà, who became Joseph Polando.
How have you found it?
I found another son, born in 1900, who died the same year.
Thank you again for all.

Check your private messages for the death certificate.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Thank you very much.
In this act the parents are different from those of Gennaro Parlà.
Perhaps in the family tree they have mixted two families.
I'll look again another day.
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

It's not uncommon for their to be errors on the names of parents on American death certificates, especially for immigrants. The names of his parents was given by his son who might not have ever known his grandparents. I have seen many errors in death records like this. My own great grandfather's death record is just this way, with his Sicilian parents named incorrectly by his American-born son.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Thank you for the info.