Missing part of naturalization

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Missing part of naturalization

Post by stfrancis »

Hello all.
I have found the following on NY naturalization card index on FamilySearch, but I couldnt locate the actual naturalization file papers anywhere so far...I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Missing part of naturalization

Post by Tessa78 »

This appears for be for a naturalization dated 12 October 1876 - a very early naturalization record.
The naturalization was granted by the Superior Court, New York County (a local court) and can be found in Bundle 274, #12

This information about naturalizations before 1906 may help you to learn where to look/contact for the document.

https://www.archives.gov/research/immig ... ralization

T.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Indeed. Thank you Tessa

Normally with these old files, the actual document related to the index is found in Ancestry, (and sometimes in FS). They are often formatted as inverted-black color.
Unfortunately, I think the only way to retrieve the older naturalizations are from the known genealogical databases, and they are not centralized in one specific location.

I guess I can try contacting the NY archives or ask the superior court where it may have been deposited...It might now be the Supreme Court....
regards
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Maybe you have wrong record

PG LINK
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... pId=173855

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Can you post the image, Adelfio? thank you.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

So after a lot more research, it turns out the NY Superior court was abolished in 1895, its jurisdiction was transferred to the NY State Supreme Court - I contacted them, but its a "run-around" as they directed me to the Federal Plaza building ! :shock: This makes no sense.

Anyway I also sent an email to NARA - NY Archives.

Since the document is not online, it looks more & more like it is missing.... :cry:

Happy new year everyone.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

M1164_9-4929.jpg

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by parkergambino »

Here's a Hail Mary suggestion for you to try.

A few years back I had visited the NYC archives at 31 Chambers St in Manhattan. Immigration records were on the 7th floor, the domain of Joe Van Nostrandt; his office phone is/was 646 386 5395.

I found him to be extremely knowledgable about the holdings and where/if records could be located, and also the historical developments and discontinuations of the various courts.

However, he was very specific about answering questions; that is, he would only provide an answer to precisely the question that was asked, and did not go one inch beyond in offering suggestions or, god forbid, speculations. After a while I realized that I needed to phrase my inquiries extremely precisely in order to find out what I wanted to know. Usually a single question ended up being a series of follow-up questions (which he never seemed to mind) to zero in on the intended topic. And then he would only just point me to a card catalog or shelf of volumes for me to work my way through, he was never helpfully overlooking over my work (as do some other archives workers in different offices in that building).

So, since nothing else seems to be working for you, why not give him a try? Sometimes you need to work the people in addition to working the documents. Perhaps he could be persuaded to do a bit of searching. I'm skeptical, and who knows, the office might not even be open and/or he may no longer work there, but ...

If you pursue this, I will be curious to know how it goes, so please follow up with a brief report.

Parker
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Sorry for the delay.
Thank you Parker, will do as soon as I have a chance.