Death certificate for World War 1 Italian soldier

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
underwood326

Death certificate for World War 1 Italian soldier

Post by underwood326 »

Hello everyone

My great grandfather Rocco Valente (no relation to the mobster - as far as I know :D ) was born in Cassino, Frosinone in 1879. He emigrated to Scotland in around 1900 and married my great grandmother (also from Cassino) in 1904. There are traces of him being in Aberdeen and Wales at various times (he was an "itinerant musician") but I know very little about him and my mum says that the family didn't really talk about him.

I only started researching my Italian roots properly very recently and discovered that he died in 1918 on the Austro Hungarian front so I am assuming he returned to Italy to join up. He is mentioned in the Roll of Honour but I cannot find any formal record of his death (either in Scotland or Cassino).

I have emailed the Ministry of Defence (someone here provided a very useful template - thank you but I can't remember who) for his military history but I wondered whether anyone would have any idea where any death certificate would be? I've searched the Cassino records (can't find anything there) but he had not been resident there for nearly 20 years and there's nothing in Scotland.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation where an immigrant returned to fight for Italy, and died and then got lost in the system? I hoping to apply for citizenship jure sanguinis so I'll need a certified copy of a death certificate but mostly it's driving me mad that I can't find anything official (apart from the mention in the Albo d'Oro).

Thank you
Dawn
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Death certificate for World War 1 Italian soldier

Post by Italysearcher »

Valente. Rocco son of Cesare and Loreto Luigia born 16/05/1879 in Cassino Foglio 1190

If this is him you can order his military record from the Archivio di Stato di Frosinone and it should tell you the date and place he died. You won't find a death record, all the Cassino records were destroyed.
Ann Tatangelo
Tours, citizenship certificates and ancestral research in Italy
http://angelresearch.net
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
rlw254
Elite
Elite

Post by rlw254 »

I find out-of-province WWI soldier death records up to 10 years after WWI itself in the town I research in, check the supplementary deaths at the very back of each year. I would check through 1930 to be sure.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Italysearcher wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 17:56 Valente. Rocco son of Cesare and Loreto Luigia born 16/05/1879 in Cassino Foglio 1190
Here is the reconstructed birth act for Rocco Valente that Ann posted above.

#122 in the image...
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=2762263

T.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Ask onorcaduti@onorcaduti.difesa.it (Ministry of Defense) where he was buried.
http://www.difesa.it/Il_Ministro/ONORCA ... otizie.pdf

Ask Frosinone's State Archive for the Ruolo Matricolare.
as-fr@beniculturali.it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cedrone
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cedrone »

If you write to Onorcaduti (Ministry of Defense) with the form at the link given above by mmogno, they will send you all available info about the date and place of death of the soldier, the place of burial (if known) and also a copy of the death act on the military register, that only later should have been copied to the usual civil register of the place of residence.
cedrone
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cedrone »

This is what happened in a similar case to another person who posted on this forum.
underwood326

Post by underwood326 »

Wow. Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. I have been trawling through the Cassino records on FamilySearch.org and going a bit cross-eyed. But I will go back and look again to see if his death was registered out of sequence - of course it makes sense that it wasn't recorded at the time. And thank you for clarifying Rocco's mother's surname. I don't know where I got Di Roberto from now. Thank you once again. I had hit a brick wall and now have some more avenues to pursue. I'll let you know how I get on,

Dawn