Saverio Cerminara/Sam German Birth?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sigatti1

Saverio Cerminara/Sam German Birth?

Post by sigatti1 »

I have been helping a friend learn more about her grandfather's Italian origins. His name was originally Saverio Cerminara. He was born in October 1871. I believe that he was born in either Platania or Cicala, CZ. But I am not sure. He emigrated to the US in 1896 and headed for Pittsburgh.

At some point, he--or the railroad company he worked for--changed his name to "Sam German." He married Rosa Gigliotti, whose birthplace was likely Cicala. Oddly, they died within hours of each other in the 1930s--she from the shock of his sudden death.

Sam and Rosa lived in Punxsutawney, PA. From the 1910 Census onward, their lives are well-documented. But birth and marriage information is not forthcoming. Records from these villages are hard to find online.

Does anyone have reliable information about Saverio or suggestions for accessing information about Platania records from the 19th century? Thanks in advance.