News: Province of Napoli records after 1865

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

News: Province of Napoli records after 1865

Post by meovino »

I apologize if this information is already known but I thought I would share for those who don't: I have recently contacted one of the staff members who works with the Antenati portal and they informed me that:

"The Archival and Bibliographic Superintendency of Campania in agreement with FamilySearch has set up a project for the digitalization of the civil status registers of the municipalities of the province of Naples for the registers beyond 1865, as the State Archives of Naples retains only a few fragments of the post-unification and unfortunately [are] not accessible as they have been preserved in poor condiitons. This digitalization process has not yet [been] finished and currently no timing can be given for publication in the portal."

In conclusion, hopefully some day -- but they are at least working on it :lol:
Matt
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: News: Province of Napoli records after 1865

Post by PippoM »

That would be great!
That's the same they did for the province of Roma, as the paper documents of the Archivio di Stato were lost due to a fire.
That might also lead to have more recent documents then those at the Archive (let's say births until 1920 or so, and marriages/deaths up to 1945)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
luigirusso007
Veteran
Veteran

Post by luigirusso007 »

That's great news if the implementation time wasn't biblical, as it has been for other places.
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

luigirusso007 wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 10:59 That's great news if the implementation time wasn't biblical, as it has been for other places.
Agreed -- unfortunately the pandemic certainly did not help with this timing. :roll:
Matt
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

PippoM wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 09:21 That would be great!
That's the same they did for the province of Roma, as the paper documents of the Archivio di Stato were lost due to a fire.
That might also lead to have more recent documents then those at the Archive (let's say births until 1920 or so, and marriages/deaths up to 1945)
Yep! I feel as like documents from ~1870 to ~1890 would be a lot more helpful for us American researchers (as opposed to 1865 and earlier) given the wave of immigration during/shortly after that time. Most people aren't able to make a connection to the pre-1865 records or find ancestors without those documents. It would be huge. Hopefully some day!
Matt