NYC Cemetery Search Offer

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

NYC Cemetery Search Offer

Post by parkergambino »

Hello all.

I plan to be visiting several NYC cemeteries in the coming weeks. Right now my visits should include Calvary Cemetery (Queens) , Mount Olivet Cemetery (Queens), and Holy Cross Cemetery (Brooklyn). If you have any look-ups or grave photo interests, please let me know.

I'm on a tight schedule, so if things don't work out just right, I will need to cancel these visits. Which will disappoint me more than you; so let's keep fingers crossed. Please don't ask about other cemeteries.

Best to email me directly: parkergambino@gmail.com

Parker
makoko

Re: NYC Cemetery Search Offer

Post by makoko »

I know this sounds very morbid but Im planning to travel with my family to New York,where my great grandparents are burried.It would mean so much to my family and I to visit their graves but we're at a loss as to how to go about finding their grave..we have no clue where they are burried.

Is there a record of graves available??Sorry for being morbid.Any help would be really appreciated.
Are you looking for electric or non electric treadmill? get complete reviews and buyer guide for best and safe treadmill for kids in 2021.
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by parkergambino »

Dear Makoko,

I don't think that honoring your ancestors is particularly morbid. It is certainly a common endeavor.

There is no comprehensive record of graves. But a good resource, albeit incomplete, is the Find-A-Grave website (https://www.findagrave.com), so start poking around there, you could get lucky.

The more information you provide here, the more likely someone will be able to help you. - For starters, what are your ancestors' names?
- Do you know when they died? And where? The different government agencies keep and publish death records, but the amount of information they contain varies according to jurisdiction and date. Sometimes the cemetery is identified in these. Again, there is an element of luck involved in the search.
- Where were they from? The more specific you can be, the more likely that they can be found; saying they were from Italy, or Sicily, is not particularly informative; knowing the city/town/village is much better.
- Do you know where they lived in the USA? Again, more specific is better!

Parker
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

You don't list it, but are you visiting Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn?
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by parkergambino »

All,

I regret to withdraw my offer for cemetery visit & lookups. My limited time was otherwise allotted: my non-Italian ancestors at Mount Olivet Cemetery and a meetup with a living distant cousin of my wife - also not Italian!

Parker
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

To Makoko:

If you have the death certificates of the persons buried, they usually will indicate what is to be done with the body after death, and will mention where they're to be buried.
Depending on their religious affiliation, Calvary Cemetery was the very big one for the Catholic Diocese. Also Holy Cross (as mentioned above), and in the Bronx it was St. Raymond's. Knowing where they lived in New York if helpful and could indicate where they might be buried, although if the Church took the duties because the family was poor, there's a good chance they're in Calvary no matter which borough they lived in.
As mentioned Find-A Grave is a good start, and the Death Index for the City may be accessible from the NYPL website.