Final piece to my Italian Heritage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie

Final piece to my Italian Heritage

Post by nyrnd1 »

This forum has been amazing in helping me find my Italian family ancestors. I am in need of just one more piece. My Grandfather was Francesco Antonio DeLucia Sposito. I know there are too many names here but I've attached a document that as best I can tell shows his name was legally changed from DeLucia to Sposito. He was born December 10, 1890 in Cervino. The notation on the birth notice advises of the name change to Sposito. In the United States he used DeLucia.
His Mother was Maria Grazia Rivetti. I have been able to trace her family back to the late 1700's with heritage names of Rivetti, Piscatelli, Razzano. Abbietello, Pascarello, etc. I feel pretty good about this.
My Grandfather search yields very little. His Father was Antionio. That is all i can find. I may have found two siblings: Vincenzo and Franccesca but am not sure.
His Father Antonio DeLucia, but could his name be Sposito? Where did that name come from? I did try to research records but just can't find anything about Antonio.
Any help will be appreciated.
My Grandmother was Immacolata Elisabetta DiNuzzo and thanks to this forum i have a tremendous amount of information now.
In advance, i think you all for your help.
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Re: Final piece to my Italian Heritage

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Dennis - I know this doesn't help, but here are the current instances of the surname "Sposito" in Italy:

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... PnWMOhKjIU

It's a real, currently used surname, and it's fairly common, with high concentrations in Rome and Palermo. What's interesting is that the surname "Delucia" is very rare, with most instances occurring on the Adriatic around Bari:

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... PnW6ehKjIU

If you compare the maps with the current distributions of "Sposito" and "Delucia" you'll see that they overlap on the cities of Milan and Ferrara in northern Italy. That's interesting, but since your birth was in 1890, it may not be helpful.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Of course it's always possible they wrote that note on the wrong record. I can't read it clearly as the image is blurred.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
NickAndreola
Elite
Elite

Post by NickAndreola »

Dennis, have a look at Antonio Sposito, son of Francesco & ?Gelsomina? De Lucia, born in July 1859......which would make him 41 at the 1890 birth record you have.....I can't make it all out but note the change from Antonio Sposito to Antonio D' Lucia Sposito.....

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
NickAndreola
Elite
Elite

Post by NickAndreola »

Also see Francesco Di Lucia Sposito born January 1826 to Lorenzo & Gelsomina D'Angelo. 8)

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nyrnd1 »

Thank you. I'll dig into the details and let you know

Dennis
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nyrnd1 »

The 1859 information appears very interesting and might be the answer. I am not good at translation but one of my NY cousins is and I'm getting help from her. I really believe there is something to the birth announcement and subsequent notes. I'm just looking at the 1826 information. I did find one document where my Grandfather was mentioned as DeLucia Sposito just before his marriage in Maddaloni. So thank you and I'll keep working on this.
NickAndreola
Elite
Elite

Post by NickAndreola »

With the marriagehttps://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 0&cat=2576 that PippoM supplied in the past, the puzzle pieces appear to be arranging themselves......

I've spent a minimum amount of time in the records for this area, but in that brief time have noted that Sposito is this area's notation of Esposito (which is used like it is seen in my 'hometown' to most often refer to padre incerto situations). There are instances in the records of those being used interchangeably (one year's marriage records had listings for two brother's side-by-side--one named Sposito-the other Esposito....) For whatever reason, this area has a higher density of individuals with that surname in the records than anywhere else I've scanned.... there are some additional family lines using the De Lucia Sposito notation as well--I can imagine a few reasons for the double names but only deeper investigation will add any clarity.
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nyrnd1 »

It certainly looks like that. My Great Grandmother in previous data i found was named Maria Grazie Rivetti. My Godmother born in Maddaloni and came to the USA as an infant was named Maria Grazie DeLucia. So it seemed to me that Maria Grazie was the proper name?
NickAndreola
Elite
Elite

Post by NickAndreola »

????

The 1890 birth lists her as Maria & the possible marriage record as Angela Maria----with out more research , I can't answer about Maria Grazia.....
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nyrnd1 »

Thanks. I am working on the Rivetti tree and will see what i can find out.

Dennis
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nyrnd1 »

Turns out there are at least 3 Rivetti sisters:
-Maria Grazie
-Filomena
-Angela
So this is continues to be a real task. Thank you so much for your help. I will now focus more on Antonio Sposito and see what i can find there.

Dennis
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nyrnd1 »

I believe you gave me all the right pieces to the puzzle. Here is a link to my Grandparents Marriage intentions from 1914. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... &cat=40546
His name shows as DiLucia Sposito. This is what you sent me for his Father Antonio. His Mother shows as Maria Angela or Angela Maria not Maria Grazia. So that is different.
Of interest is that i've not been able to find their marriage information. Their first child was not born for another 6 years! I'll see if in fact Grandpop came to the USA earlier then went back or something like that. Their first child was born Jan 1920 in Maddaloni.
Again, my thanks for helping me sort all this out. The name DiLucia Esposito must be correct.