200 GBP - how did they afford?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

200 GBP - how did they afford?

Post by inejenn »

I have just obtained a copy of the marriage licence for my ancestor Pietro Paulucci who married in Newark, UK in 1783 where he paid the sum of two hundred pounds for the licence. His occupation is given as Image Maker, and he had signed the document which leads me to believe he was educated. Can anyone tell me more about Image Makers - were they wealthy? 200 pounds in 1783 must have been an awful lot of money for him to pay!!! :!:
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 200 GBP - how did they afford?

Post by joyse »

I could be wrong but I thought image makers were artists - portrait painters. I wouldn't have thought someone doing that for a living was wealthy. People who were wealthy in those days were classed as 'of independant means' and they didn't work. Just like now!!
I can't understand why a marriage licence was £200 - the cost usually charged was a few shillings or perhaps pence in those days. If you show someone at your local record office the document perhaps they can enlighten you.

Best wishes
Joy
:D
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 200 GBP - how did they afford?

Post by inejenn »

Thank you for the reply. I have been told Image Makers were artists who sculpted images in plaster of paris, hence the reason for them settling in Nottingham area as this is where the plaster came from.

The document says that Pietro Paulucci of the City of York, Image Maker and John Bettison, baker of Newark are held and firmly bound to the Right Worshipful Richard Kaye, Clerk, Doctor of Laws, Archdeacon of the Archdeaconry of Nottingham, in the sum of two Hundred Pounds of lawful Money of Great Britain and is dated 29th January 1783.

It is obviously some kind of legal document which had to be signed and sealed before the marriage licence could be granted. The signatures of both Pietro Paulucci and John Bettison are shown. I wonder if Pietro had to have some kind of guarantor before he could get married in England? It goes on to say that Pietro and Lydia "now licensed may lawfully solemnise marriage together."

I do hope someone may be able to help, but I am not sure the local records office is the right place as when I contacted them they just sent me a copy of the marriage and this only gave the names and occupations of the bride and groom, none of the details given in this other document.