Angelicola surname in Celenza, Foggia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mda1948

Re: Angelicola surname in Celenza, Foggia and Waterbury, CT

Post by mda1948 »

Hello all. Taking the risk of adding more confusion to the relationships of the Angelicolas in Waterbury Connecticut, let me add a few facts as I know them. First, The Congress Avenue branch in the USA sprang from my grandfather Michele Angelicola married to Giovannina Innaimo born 1887 and emigrated from Celenza on the Liguria with a 1 year old daughter named Michelina in 1909. My grandfather Michele did not travel with his wife and first born child. I believe he preceded them. The Ellis island record has spelling errors for the first names of my aunt and grandmother. The Congress Avenue branch was centered for many years at 455 Congress Avenue. They considered themselves part of the "Townplot" section of Waterbury and attended Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church there. This location was up the street from a section of the city called Brooklyn. The spelling is the same as the NYC borough. Brooklyn was a center of many activities and was more developed than Townplot. Bank Street is close to or runs through a part of Brooklyn in Waterbury, CT.

I am a Michael D. Angelicola age 60. My father was Francis A. Angelicola and my brother Anthony Francis Angelicola, age 62, was born and grew up in Townplot section of Waterbuury at 43 Anthony Terrace. This Street was named after my maternal grandfather Antonio Iacovesso who married Carmella Cipriano. My mother, Josephine M. Iacovesso, told me of Angelicola relatives who were fairly closely related to my paternal side of the family living in Argentina and Canada, she corresponded with these family members.

In Townplot there was a Nicholas Angelicola of my father's age to whom we were either not related or so distantly related we did not consider him part of our family. There were Angelicolas on either South Porter or Porter Street with almost the same set of first names and in many instances middle names as those in our Townplot branch of the family. Again, we were not closely or loosely associated with the "Porter" branch of the Angelicolas and I was told we were not related, except possibly many generations ago in Italy. As you can see, there seemed to be two if not three branches of Angelicolas in Waterbury.

To emphasize the distance in relationship, my aunt Cookie, Michelina Angelicola, who emigrated from Celenza at age one in 1909 with her mother, married a Mike(Michael Angelicola) to whom she was apparently "not related" until marriage. She did not have to change her maiden surname and her father, husband and one of her two sons was named Michael Angelicola.

I am just beginning to trace back my paternal grandparents and would appreciate any facts concerning these very interesting Angelicolas from Celenza who thrived in Waterbury, CT and apparently Brooklyn NYC as well as Canada and South America. I hope this may answer some questions about the Angelicolas in Waterbury at least. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
rad9496

Re: Angelicola surname in Celenza, Foggia

Post by rad9496 »

Hi. Thanks for jumping on this strand about the Angelicola's from Waterbury, CT

I agree with you that it is very confusing and you're right about there being at least 2 (maybe 3) Angelicola families in and around Waterbury. If you read the previous posts I have here, you'll see that I am a genealogist who has been researching the Angelicola's in Waterbury (West Porter Street ones) for several years now and I have come across "your" Angelicola's several times in my research and have had to backtrack to get back on the right family tree on more than one occasion! To complicate the research, in "my" Angelicola family, there is also a Michele Angelicola who came over from Celenza to live with his son Nicola Angelicola who lived at West Porter Street in the Brooklyn part of Waterbury. Plus, there are several Michael Angelicola's in this family tree as well. And, not to be undone, they also apparently had a cattle or horse farm or something like that in Argentina as well, just like "your" Angelicola's. Lastly, they had at least 2 or more family members born over there who then came back to the states and married here. Oh, I also forget... this Michele Angelicola (who died in 1945 and is buried in Waterbury) married Giovannina Zarrelli (another Michele who married a Giovannina!).

I DO believe that both (or all 3) Angelicola families are related from Celenza. The town is just too small for them to not be related directly to each other. My issue is that I cannot find both Michele Angelicola's common tie to each other. I do know that "my" Michele Angelicola's father was Nicola Angelicola and his mother was Angelina (unknown maiden name). I am not sure who Michele Angelicola's father was in your tree but if it wasn't Nicola, I strongly believe that they were cousins of some sort. Maybe Nicola Angelicola and the father of your Michele Angelicola were brothers?? If you could find out, that would be great. It would be awesome if we could tie these 2 families together! It is difficult to find records from about pre 1850 in Italy that could confirm this. I don't speak Italian so manuscripts in Italian are very difficult for me to decipher.

I believe I have come across several dates and facts about the Angelicola's that are in your family tree. I would be more than happy to share them with you since they are not part of the tree that I am researching (at least not yet).

Please send me a private message at rad9496@aim.com and I'll be more than happy to share with you all the information I've acquired over the years about your family.
mda1948

Post by mda1948 »

Just a follow up, My grandfather Michele Angelicola traveled to Ellis Island two times. Once at age 11 in 1901 with his father Giuseppe and a cousin Leonardo Angelicola. Their destination was a cousin G.Angelicola at 73 Elizabeth Street , NYC. Michele returned from Celenza in October 1907 on the Europa, alone this time, with final destination 697 Bank Street, Waterbury CT. His wife Giovanna and daughter Michela, one year old, enterred Ellis Island in March 1909 with destination: to meet husband in Waterbury, CT. In 1910 the family lived on Bank Street. In 1920 the family with 5 children lived on South Leonard Street. By 1930 the family was established in a large house at 455 Congress Avenue with room for multiple renters.

Why he returned to Celenza is unclear now, but I suspect he traveled back with his father who stayed in Celenza. Apparently Michele had no brothers just three sisters who became Mrs.Joseph Codianne, Mrs.Dominic Spallone, and Mrs. Joseph Marzano.
rad9496

Post by rad9496 »

Thanks for the follow up information on the Angelicolas.

You mentioned that you had an older relative who might still be in contact with the Angelicolas from West Porter Street or elsewhere in Waterbury. I was wondering if she had any information on the mother of the Angelicolas that settled there? As you can see from my previous posts, her name was Giovannina Zarelli and was born in 1871 in Celenza and died probably between 1929 and 1945 (presumably in Celenza). My lead goes cold at this point. I cannot find any record of her death of if she ever came to the US. Any information she has on the Zarellis would be greatly appreciated. I think Gianni Zarelli (Giovannina's father) might have remarried at some point which complicates the lineage even further.

Your right, with all the same names of the Angelicolas in Waterbury (even WITHIN the same family!) it gets very confusing. There have been some great postings and photos on Ancestry.com from a researcher working the Angelicola family tree. He lives in California. Check it out.

Have a great new year! Hope to hear from you soon.
mda1948

Post by mda1948 »

Sorry, I have no information source for you on your question but I might suggest a good source for contact with Celenza public records.

Go to celenzaheritage.com and there are a variety of options there. You can post a question in the guestbook.

Or use a link to an autotranslator of form letters to Celenza townhall. The answer on birth, death, or marriage queries usually comes back in 6 to 8 weeks. Good luck.
mdamar01

Post by mdamar01 »

Hello there! My name is MaryLou D'Amarino and my grandmother was Lucia Maria Angelicola! She traveled here with her father and her sisters settled in Waterbury Ct and one record we found had the destination as 697 Bank St. We know she also had a brother Michael. I believer her fathers name was Antonio Angelicola. Would love to know if there are any connections to our family in this thread. This has been some very interesting reading! Thanks
rich490

Post by rich490 »

Hello,
I am researching my relationship to the Innaimo`s in Canada, Australia and Italy. My grandmother was Rose Innaimo, married to Frank Innaimo. Franks father i belive was Antonio Innaimo who came from Celenza. I know we are related to the Angelicolas one of whom was a Waterbury police officer. I get so confused over our relationship, I was hoping someone can clarify
mda1948

Re: Angelicola/Innaimo surname in Celenza, Foggia

Post by mda1948 »

Hi,
Couldn't resist answering your inquiry since I am doing research at Family History Center (LDS, Mormons). The Innaimos and Angelicolas intermarried. They both are associated with Celenza Valfortore and Carlantino(a separate smaller town about 2 miles away). One intermarriage was my grandfather Michele Angelicola and Giovanna Innaimo married in 1907 in Carlantino. Giovanna's father was Francesco and her mother was Saveria(Sarah) Pirro. Hope this helps. Both sides of this family ended up in Waterbury , CT in Townplot section and attended Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church there. Buona fortuna.
facciabella

Post by facciabella »

Hello my name is Nicole Angelicola from waterbury CT. Named after my great grandfather Nicola Angelicola born Nov. 29 1894. He married Lucia Jacaruso both from celenza, foggia. They settled here on west porter st and had 8 children. Nicola did go to Argentina and worked on a ranch as a gaucho before coming to Ellis island where his name is listed on the board there. Hope some of this helps.
casoncin

Post by casoncin »

Estimated Michele, My name is Carlos Alberto Soncini, I am 60 years old and live in Argentina. The surname of my grandmother was Angelicola, and she was born in Celenza Valfortore. The name of my grandmother was Fiora Anna, and that of her brothers were Liberato, Giuseppe, Michele, Angelina, and Santina. She came to Argentina after the first war, and also her brothers Liberato, Giuseppe, and Angelina. I am going to travel, the first time in my life, to Celenza next April 29, and I am going to meet Giovannina and Rafaela that are daughters of Santina. I am going to try to know a little more over of our ancestors, and if I find some aditional information of your interest I am going to let you know. I will contact you again after my return of the trip.
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi, My name is Pamela Scalora. I am originally from Waterbury Connecticut. I was told that my grandmother's name was Angelina Angelicola. She married a man with last name of Carozza and had several children, one of which is my biological mother. name is Lena. After my grandfather passed away she remarried a man named Campus. I was told the family came from Foggia Italy. I knew a few people with the last name of Angelicola in Waterbury but never guessed that we were related. Just trying to put the pieces together. If anyone has any info it will be appreciated. Thank you.