Looking for the pubblicazioni for this marriage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
timfly
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for the pubblicazioni for this marriage

Post by timfly »

Hello,

I would appreciate the record for this i believe it's called either Pubblicazioni or Processeti. Maybe someone could explain the difference. Thank you!

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
rlw254
Master
Master

Re: Looking for the pubblicazioni for this marriage

Post by rlw254 »

You are probably looking for the processetti. Pubblicazioni are the announcements of a marriage that were required to be posted in a town a few weeks before the wedding occurred. These can be helpful when looking for the marriage of a man who was married in a different town than where he lived because marriages typically occurred where the bride was residing and the pubblicazioni were often published in both towns. The pubblicazioni will usually contain the same information as the marriage record.

Processetti are the supplemental documents that accompany a marriage and will often include birth records of both parties, death records of their parents if applicable, and sometimes even death records of the grandparents. They will also contain the consent documents for marriage of a minor and even some other helpful things like consanguinity trees from time to time.

Processetti are often difficult to sift through because they do not have indices and are very frequently out of order when the books are digitized. I'm sure everyone has their own methods but what I do is look closely at the entire gallery view and pick out a page that looks like this:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 7.jpg.html
Where there is a blank sheet with handwriting at the top of the left page. This is an easy way to spot the end of one record set and beginning of another. In this case we can see that the random one I pulled out was for a marriage on 24 September, a little bit too far for the one you're looking for. So normally you would back up until you find the correct one, but in this case the entire folder is shuffled for 1837 and there will be no guaranteed way to quickly find the one you need. Instead, you'll have to check them all until you find the correct one.

Yours starts here:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 4.jpg.html
1. Giovanni LoMarito born 23 Mar 1801 to Giuseppe LoMarito & Maria Innella
2. Maria Francesca Saveria Fittipaldi born 26 Apr 1810 to Nicola Fittipaldi & Donata Russo
3. Statement indicating that the groom's mother is dead, this is sometimes provided if they can't find the record or didn't want to look
4. Death of the bride's first husband Augustale Sangiorgio, 35, on 26 Sept 1836
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

rlw254 wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 01:05 You are probably looking for the processetti. Pubblicazioni are the announcements of a marriage that were required to be posted in a town a few weeks before the wedding occurred. These can be helpful when looking for the marriage of a man who was married in a different town than where he lived because marriages typically occurred where the bride was residing and the pubblicazioni were often published in both towns. The pubblicazioni will usually contain the same information as the marriage record.

Processetti are the supplemental documents that accompany a marriage and will often include birth records of both parties, death records of their parents if applicable, and sometimes even death records of the grandparents. They will also contain the consent documents for marriage of a minor and even some other helpful things like consanguinity trees from time to time.

Processetti are often difficult to sift through because they do not have indices and are very frequently out of order when the books are digitized. I'm sure everyone has their own methods but what I do is look closely at the entire gallery view and pick out a page that looks like this:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 7.jpg.html
Where there is a blank sheet with handwriting at the top of the left page. This is an easy way to spot the end of one record set and beginning of another. In this case we can see that the random one I pulled out was for a marriage on 24 September, a little bit too far for the one you're looking for. So normally you would back up until you find the correct one, but in this case the entire folder is shuffled for 1837 and there will be no guaranteed way to quickly find the one you need. Instead, you'll have to check them all until you find the correct one.

Yours starts here:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 4.jpg.html
1. Giovanni LoMarito born 23 Mar 1801 to Giuseppe LoMarito & Maria Innella
2. Maria Francesca Saveria Fittipaldi born 26 Apr 1810 to Nicola Fittipaldi & Donata Russo
3. Statement indicating that the groom's mother is dead, this is sometimes provided if they can't find the record or didn't want to look
4. Death of the bride's first husband Augustale Sangiorgio, 35, on 26 Sept 1836
@rlw254

Great work with the explanations. I was just going to reply to the post but will leave it to you as I'm really busy today. I just wanted to point out two things. One you have posted the wrong link to the processetti, and the other thing is I believe the surname to be Lomanto not Lo Marito.

Angela
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

You're right, LoManto. I saw a little dot in the first instance and used it the whole rest of the time.

The link is correct - remember with the writing on the left-hand page that I describe, this occurs at the end of the previous record set. The right-hand page starts with Giovanni's birth record, then you will find their handwritten page at the very end of their set and beginning of the next one:
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
timfly
Rookie
Rookie

Post by timfly »

All this information is great. This actually isn't my genealogy, I offered to do it for a co-worker. It's very interesting to me coming from a Russian background. If for some reason you need help in the I would be glad to help!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

rlw254 wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 01:29 You're right, LoManto. I saw a little dot in the first instance and used it the whole rest of the time.

The link is correct - remember with the writing on the left-hand page that I describe, this occurs at the end of the previous record set. The right-hand page starts with Giovanni's birth record, then you will find their handwritten page at the very end of their set and beginning of the next one:
Humble apologises. I shouldn't multi-task.

Angela
timfly
Rookie
Rookie

Post by timfly »

A question arises then. If Giovanni was born in 1801, where did they locate this information? I learned from Angela that the civil records only go back to 1809.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

timfly wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 02:09 A question arises then. If Giovanni was born in 1801, where did they locate this information? I learned from Angela that the civil records only go back to 1809.

Tim, the 1801 record isn't a Civil Record. It is a church record - Baptism - which contains his date of birth.

Angela
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

While civil registration records began across most of Italy in 1809, church/parish records were kept for many centuries. Most of the time these are not digitized. The records used for processetti are not strictly the church records but are extracts of the church record to satisfy the purpose of the supplemental document for marriage. The parish records typically contain much less relevant information but they are the only tool to go back in time before the civil registration.