I'm off to Italy!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

I'm off to Italy!

Post by joyse »

Having searched on and off (more off than on!) since 1984 for details of my great grandfather I recently had confirmation from Italy of his place of birth.
As I have a certain big 0 birthday in a couple of weeks I have decided to spend it in Italy where Antonio came from.
I would never have found his birthplace without the internet. Together with distant cousins, who I have never met or even knew existed, we shared all our little bits of info until we have been able to sort out our ancestors!

So to all out there thinking you will never do it. Hang in there - everything comes to he who waits!! And I hope you will be as happy as I am.

Joy

:lol: :lol:
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: I'm off to Italy!

Post by nuccia »

joyse, I am very happy for you and a very happy early Birthday! :D This is exciting. I have made plans twice in the past year to go to Italy and both times my plans have changed.. :cry: I guess I neeed to live my trip through others for the next little while. What part of Italy are you visiting??? Is it your first trip? You are so going to love it...I promise.

Will you remember to take pictures and post them here for us to see? You can upload them to your own album once Edmondo approves them...should be great!

nuccia
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Hi Nuccia
Thank you. Yes its my first visit to Italy - like you I have wanted to go for a long time but things got in the way!
The place is right at the top of Tuscany and looking on the net it looks beautiful. I know there are families there with the same surname so I will be calling on a few people and hoping I can make myself understood with my phrase book!!!
I went to Calgary and the Rockies last year -wow - that was wonderful!
My great grandad had left England with the youngest children and went to Montreal. My gran stayed here as she was older.
I will post my findings on my return. Hope you manage to go too.
Best wishes

Joy
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Very Exciting!
So to all out there thinking you will never do it. Hang in there - everything comes to he who waits!! And I hope you will be as happy as I am.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Of all the places on earth, there are only four I really want to see.....
Italy, of course!! England, Scotland and Ireland.....ahhhhhh......maybe one day when I get this buisness of raising children out of the way......

Have an extra special trip for all of us here who are still wishing...... :wink:
DeLisa
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Jennifer and I have a list that is about a mile long. Growing up as a military-brat and being in the military myself kinda' got the desire to travel out of my system, but seeing things through her eyes makes it completely different ...

Alaska was just our first trip of MANY!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

ALASKA?????

I already live somewhere cold...give me a beach anyday!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

nuccia
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Alaska is the only state I haven't been to.......someday, hopefully!

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Anywhere I visit........will have to be in the summer months.......I hate being cold!!!!!! and snow????? yech.....as for England........I must confess to an admiration for Princess Di.......

Nuccia.......you would love my gramp's house......out the front door and right on the gulf of Mexico, white sandy beaches and the water is warm......
with winter around the corner.....sure sounds good!!
Lisa
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

joyse wrote: As I have a certain big 0 birthday in a couple of weeks I have decided to spend it in Italy where Antonio came from.
That's wonderful, I'm so happy for you! What part of Italy are you traveling to?
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Alaska ... summer months ... not so cold ...

Have a glorious trip ... you will be in our prayers!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

wldspirit wrote:Anywhere I visit........will have to be in the summer months.......I hate being cold!!!!!! and snow????? yech.....as for England........I must confess to an admiration for Princess Di.......

Nuccia.......you would love my gramp's house......out the front door and right on the gulf of Mexico, white sandy beaches and the water is warm......
with winter around the corner.....sure sounds good!!
Lisa
You think you could hook me up??? Actually Dad grew up in a house which is a hundred metres from the ocean in Italy. His siters still live there and its gorgeous.

Not sure if you remember my last avator of the beach scene but that was taken on the beach in Locri...If I ever strike it rich I'll invite you all out with a paid ticket to enjoy..this I promise! :lol: :lol: But remember, I have to be very rich!! An Italian knows how to treat his guests and you need money for that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spent a while thias morning talking to an older Siclian customer who told me all about what it was like to arrive in this country in the early 1950's...so interesting and so shocking to believe what the immigranys went through before the big construction boom hit! I wish I could have spent more time with him...

Bob, we're just teasing you...I'm sure it was beautiful. :D

nuccia
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Did I miss some teasing ... oh, it was me 8) ... cool!
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Thanks for good wishes.

I am going to the northern part of Tuscany. A place called Zeri. I am told that it will probably be wet and cold!!! so all you warm weather people be warned - all of Italy is not always warm!!!
Being English I really don't mind about the weather :wink:

The butler is away tonight (sorry, English joke for husband!) and so I have got a ready meal of Spaghetti Bolagnase and had a whisky with it (mothers side Scottish!)

Have a good weekend folks. Being self employed I have to work to enable me to have the week off!!!!!

Joy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Then when you get the chance, get your Scottish side over to the virtual bar section and pour yourself a drink! You have a reason to open the bar! :lol:

nuccia